Is Unitarity Preserved by Different Inner Products?

• Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unitarity
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of unitary and its relation to inner products. It is shown that a unitary transformation with respect to one inner product may not necessarily be unitary with respect to another inner product. However, it is possible to find a similar unitary transformation with respect to any given inner product. The conversation concludes by confirming that the speaker hasn't made any mistakes in their reasoning.
e(ho0n3
Let V be a finite dimensional complex inner product space with inner product < , >. Let U be unitary with respect to this inner product. If ( , ) is another inner product, is U also unitary with respect to ( , )?

The definition of unitary I'm working with is the one that says: U is unitary if <Uv, Uw> = <v w>, i.e. it preserves inner products.

Now it is easy to show that U is unitary with respect to < , > if and only if U'U = 1, where U' is the adjoint and 1 is the identity transformations. But by replacing < , > with ( , ), the prior statement says that U is also unitary with respect to ( , ).

Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if the result is true of not, I haven'T thinking about it but you seem to be missing that if the inner product changes, then the adjoint changes also! So mayeb we lose U'U=1 when we change the inner product.

You know what, you're right! That hadn't occur to me.

I think the result should be as follows: If U is unitary with respect < , >, then it is similar to a unitary with respect to ( , ).

The answer to the original question is "no." Any inner product <.,.> on a finite-dimensional vector space is of the form

[tex]\langle x,y\rangle = \overline{x}^t H y [/tex]

for some hermitian, positive-definite matrix H. For U to be unitary with respect to <.,.>, one needs that [tex]\overline{U}^t H U = H[/tex]. With this in mind, it's easy to cook up examples of unitary matrices with respect to one inner product failing to be unitary matrices with respect to another.

On the other hand, the answer to the second question is "yes." It's enough to show this for when <.,.> is arbitrary and (.,.) is the standard dot product (so: let's fix a basis for our space and think of it as [itex]\mathbb{C}^n[/itex]). Let H be the matrix associated to <.,.> as above. Since H is positive definite and hermitian, one can find an invertible matrix S such that [tex]H = \overline{S}^t S[/tex] (exercise!). Now if U is unitary with respect to (.,.), i.e. [tex]U^{-1} = \overline{U}^t[/tex], then taking [itex]V = S^{-1}US[/itex], we find that

[tex]\overline{V}^t H V = \overline{S}^t \overline{U}^t \overline{S}^{-t} H S^{-1}US = \overline{S}^t \overline{U}^t \overline{S}^{-t} \overline{S}^t S S^{-1}US = \overline{S}^t \overline{U}^t US = \overline{S}^t S = H,[/itex]

that is, V is unitary with respect to <.,.>.

Conversely, if U is unitary with respect to <.,.>, i.e. [tex]\overline{U}^t H U = H[/itex], then one can check that [itex]SUS^{-1}[/itex] is unitary with respect to (.,.).

Hopefully I haven't made any mistakes.

Last edited:
morphism said:
The answer to the original question is "no."
I'm convinced of that now. Thanks.

Since H is positive definite and hermitian, one can find an invertible matrix S such that [tex]H = \overline{S}^t S[/tex] (exercise!).
Since H is Hermitian, you can use the spectral theorem to get an S such that H = S2, where S is positive definite and hence Hermitian.

Hopefully I haven't made any mistakes.
I didn't recognize any. Thanks again.

Related to Is Unitarity Preserved by Different Inner Products?

1. What is unitarity in the context of inner products?

Unitarity is a property of inner products that ensures the length of a vector remains unchanged when multiplied by the inner product of itself. In other words, the inner product of a vector with itself should always result in a positive real number.

2. How do you determine if an inner product is unitary?

An inner product is unitary if it satisfies the condition of being positive definite, meaning that the inner product of any vector with itself is always greater than or equal to zero. This ensures that the length of a vector remains unchanged when multiplied by the inner product of itself.

3. What is the relationship between unitarity and orthogonality?

Unitarity and orthogonality are closely related concepts in the context of inner products. Orthogonality refers to the property of vectors being perpendicular to each other, meaning their inner product is equal to zero. Unitarity ensures that the inner product of a vector with itself is always positive, which is essential for determining orthogonality.

4. Can the unitarity of an inner product be proven?

Yes, the unitarity of an inner product can be proven using mathematical proofs and theorems. One such theorem is the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, which states that the absolute value of the inner product of two vectors is less than or equal to the product of their lengths. If this condition is satisfied, then the inner product is unitary.

5. What is the significance of unitarity in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, unitarity is a fundamental principle that ensures the conservation of probability. This means that the total probability of all possible outcomes of a quantum system always adds up to one. Without unitarity, the laws of quantum mechanics would not hold, and the predictions of the theory would not match the observed behavior of particles.