Is {(x,y)∈R^2 | 2x+y≤2, x-y>4} an Open Subset of R^2?

In summary, the conversation is about determining whether the subset {(x,y)\in R^2 such that 2x+y<=2, x-y>4} in R^2 is open, closed or neither open nor closed. The speaker believes it is open, but is unsure how to prove it mathematically and requests help. They rearrange the equations and visually determine that the set is open, but seek guidance on proving it.
gavbacardi
1. {(x,y)[itex]\in[/itex] R^2 such that 2x+y<=2, x-y>4} Determine whether this subset of R^2 is open, closed or neither open nor closed.

2. I think this is an open subset but not sure how to prove it. I have rearranged the equations to give x>2, y<=-2x+1, y< x-1. I think it is open because x can get closer and closer to 2 but never equal it and y can get closer and closer to x-1 but never equal it. I'm not sure how prove this mathematically though?

Any help or hints would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
First things first. Draw what your set looks like by re-arranging your equations a bit. This will allow you to see whether or not your set is open.

Remember a set is open if every point is an interior point, that is for any point you choose, every neighborhood around it contains points only from the set.

Related to Is {(x,y)∈R^2 | 2x+y≤2, x-y>4} an Open Subset of R^2?

What is the difference between a closed subset and an open subset?

A closed subset is a set that contains all of its limit points, while an open subset is a set that does not contain any of its limit points.

How do I determine if a set is closed or open?

A set is closed if its complement (the elements not in the set) is open. Similarly, a set is open if its complement is closed.

Can a set be both closed and open?

Yes, a set can be both closed and open. This is known as a clopen set.

What is the closure of a set?

The closure of a set is the smallest closed subset that contains all of the elements of the original set. It can also be thought of as the union of the original set and its limit points.

Why is the concept of closed and open subsets important?

The concept of closed and open subsets is important in topology and real analysis. It allows us to define and study important properties of sets such as compactness, connectedness, and continuity of functions.