Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ISO-8859-1 character code

1. Dec 8, 2004 #1

honestrosewater

Gold Member

In another thread, someone was trying to use the ISO-8859-1 character code for ö and forgot the semicolon. They wrote
    and when I quoted them to point out the omission, the character magically appeared. When input from the text box, &#246 appears in the html as
    (no space) as expected. But when editing or quoting, it appears as ö. What is happening?!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2004 #2
    The ampersand symbol got converted into its ASCII equivalent in HTML.

4. Dec 10, 2004 #3

honestrosewater

Gold Member

PF's html says it uses ISO-8859-1 not ASCII. I understand why & appears as & amp; in the html. But why does & amp;#246 appear as ö when entered the second time, presumably from the html? Does something add the semicolon to the end?

5. Dec 10, 2004 #4
    ISO-8859-1 is a superset of US-ASCII.

The semicolon is not necessary if the immediate character following the entity is a white space or end of line. Your browser will render the entity inside the textarea block, even though it doesn't have a trailing semicolon. I assure you there is nothing strange going on.

6. Dec 10, 2004 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

wave,
    Thanks for the info. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?