1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ISO-8859-1 character code

1. Dec 8, 2004 #1

honestrosewater

Gold Member

In another thread, someone was trying to use the ISO-8859-1 character code for ö and forgot the semicolon. They wrote
    and when I quoted them to point out the omission, the character magically appeared. When input from the text box, &#246 appears in the html as
    (no space) as expected. But when editing or quoting, it appears as ö. What is happening?!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2004 #2
    The ampersand symbol got converted into its ASCII equivalent in HTML.

4. Dec 10, 2004 #3

honestrosewater

Gold Member

PF's html says it uses ISO-8859-1 not ASCII. I understand why & appears as & amp; in the html. But why does & amp;#246 appear as ö when entered the second time, presumably from the html? Does something add the semicolon to the end?

5. Dec 10, 2004 #4
    ISO-8859-1 is a superset of US-ASCII.

The semicolon is not necessary if the immediate character following the entity is a white space or end of line. Your browser will render the entity inside the textarea block, even though it doesn't have a trailing semicolon. I assure you there is nothing strange going on.

6. Dec 10, 2004 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

wave,
    Thanks for the info. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?