Threaded Fastener Equations

• Thread starter M172
  • Start date
In summary: The equation you are looking for is "σallow = 30.463 kN * As" and the example you are using is from page 1533. The example shows how to calculate the torque value required to yield an M10x1.5 bolt.
M172
Hi everyone.

I was doing this more out of interest than any other reason (i.e. profit, homework, etc) however I am a mechanical engineer by day and haven't needed to do this up until recently. The answer isn't relevant to the project in question as it has already been approved and put into production. Anyway...

What I'm trying to do is put together a torque calculator, which will allow me to put in any parameter that I want, to calculate things like maximum preload and subsequently torque values for hollow bolts, or bolts of materials other than "normal" things, i.e. brass, Inconel, etc., or threaded shafts with reduced shank diameters, various coatings, or lack of, etc. I've got quite far but have come across a hurdle.

I've got a copy of Machinery's Handbook, the 29th Edition, and inside there is a section called Torque and Tension in Fasteners.

On page 1531 there is an example exercise, where they demonstrate how to calculate the torque value required to yield an M10x1.5 bolt. I have taken a picture in case anyone doesn't have a copy:

6t0ch0_th.jpg

Code:
Link: http://i61.tinypic.com/n3ltn4.jpg

Further on, on page 1533 there is another example which happens to be in inches, but they take a different approach:

2nlvj3m_th.jpg

Code:
Link: http://i57.tinypic.com/xd6l3d.jpg]

They describe this as "Torque-Tension Relationships", whereas the first example is clearly in "Relationship Between Torque and Clamping Force".

Reading this section much like a story, I have understood most of it, however what I don't understand is that the second method I've shown above seems to do the same thing as the first, yet when I try to substitute metric values into the second, I get horrendous values, i.e. 4kN-m for bolts I'd expect to tighten to about 350 N-m.

I've spent a few hours contemplating this and don't yet understand why I can't grasp it. I appreciate that there might be a difference between tension and clamping force, but surely the numbers cannot be that far apart?

For example, their value for F in example 1 is 30.463 kN. Substituting their same example values into example 2, I get 1740 kN for PB. Hence, a ridiculous torque figure.

Now, obviously, the number is so large because the equation says to multiply σallow (which is 30.463 kN) by As (58 mm2). With imperial figures, the area will always be a low number, and in their example it is 0.1419 in2. Perhaps this is the reason? I can't recall anything else which has separate equations for metric and imperial, though, other than including 25.4, or a reciprocal here and there...

Hopefully someone can help me understand?

The second method is of interest because it takes into account the coefficient of friction of the bearing face and its effective diameter, which the first one doesn't appear to do. This is of interest because I cannot always design bearing faces that are about 0.95 times the A/F dimension.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Reduce the size of your image please!

Last edited by a moderator:
Better? :)

Take this suggestion "with a grain of salt" as I am not a mechanical engineer and am not familiar with your equations. But have you considered the difference in how thread pitch is measured. Imperial is number of threads per inch and metric is simply pitch in mm. Sorry if this is a pointless distraction.

Last edited:
You might also check your units to make sure you're plugging in the correct values, e.g. ksi vs psi, MPa vs GPa.

Can you post an example of your equation? Are you off by a factor of 2 or some other obvious quantity like 10 or 1000?

1. What are threaded fastener equations used for?

Threaded fastener equations are used to determine the optimal size and strength of a threaded fastener, such as a bolt or screw, for a given application. They help ensure that the fastener is able to withstand the required load without breaking or failing.

2. What are the most commonly used threaded fastener equations?

The most commonly used threaded fastener equations include the axial force equation, shear strength equation, and the combined loading equation. These equations take into account factors such as material properties, thread geometry, and applied loads to determine the appropriate size and strength of the fastener.

3. How do I calculate the axial force in a threaded fastener?

The axial force in a threaded fastener can be calculated using the following equation:

F = P x As

Where F is the axial force, P is the applied load, and As is the stress area of the fastener. The stress area can be calculated using the equation:

As = (π/4) x (D - 0.9743/n)^2

Where D is the nominal diameter of the fastener and n is the number of threads per inch.

4. Can threaded fastener equations be used for all types of fasteners?

Threaded fastener equations are typically used for standard fasteners, such as bolts and screws, that have a uniform thread profile. They may not be suitable for specialized fasteners with non-standard thread profiles or non-threaded fasteners.

5. Are there any limitations to using threaded fastener equations?

Threaded fastener equations are based on certain assumptions and may not be accurate for all situations. Factors such as surface finish, lubrication, and assembly method can also affect the performance of the fastener. It is important to consult with a professional engineer and consider all relevant factors when selecting and using threaded fasteners.