Isobar states decay probabilities

In summary, an isobar state refers to atomic nuclei with the same mass number but different atomic numbers, denoted by the symbol A. Isobar states can decay through various processes such as beta decay, alpha decay, and gamma decay. Decay probability refers to the likelihood of a particular isobar state undergoing a specific type of decay, which is measured through experiments such as particle accelerators and nuclear reactors. Studying isobar states and decay probabilities is important for understanding atomic nuclei and their behavior, as well as for practical applications in fields such as nuclear energy, medicine, and astrophysics.
kelly0303
Hello! Given an excited state of a nucleon, such as the ##\Delta## baryon (and here I mean all its 4 version ##\Delta^{++}##, ##\Delta^{+}##, ##\Delta^{0}##, ##\Delta^{-}##), the decay channel is (in this case) to a pion and a nucleon. I was wondering, is the decay probability the same for all 4 versions? I assume that they all decay through the strong force, and I don't see any quantum number that might favor one over the other, but I am not totally sure. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
What does isospin symmetry tell you about the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients?

1. What are isobar states?

Isobar states are nuclear states that have the same number of nucleons (protons and neutrons) but different energy levels. They are denoted by the same mass number but different atomic numbers.

2. What is decay probability?

Decay probability is the likelihood that a particular isobar state will decay into a lower energy state. It is determined by the energy difference between the two states and the available decay channels.

3. How is decay probability calculated?

Decay probability is calculated using the laws of quantum mechanics, specifically the principles of energy conservation and probability amplitude. It also takes into account the strength of the interaction between the particles in the nucleus.

4. What factors affect the decay probabilities of isobar states?

The main factors that affect decay probabilities are the energy difference between the states, the available decay channels, and the strength of the nuclear interaction. Other factors may include the spin and parity of the states and the presence of any symmetries.

5. Why is it important to study isobar states and their decay probabilities?

Studying isobar states and their decay probabilities can provide valuable insights into the structure and behavior of atomic nuclei. It can also help us understand the fundamental forces and interactions that govern the behavior of matter at a microscopic level. Additionally, this knowledge can have practical applications in areas such as nuclear energy and medical imaging.