Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isomorphisms between cyclic groups!

1. Nov 16, 2008 #1
    Ok, here is something i thought i understood, but it turns out i am having difficulties fully grasping/proving it.

Let [tex]\theta:G->G'[/tex] be an isomorphism between G and G', where o(G)=m=o(G'), and both G and G' are cyclic, i.e. G=[a] and G'=

So my question is, when we want to find the total number of isomorphisms from G to G', i 'know' that the total number of such isomorphisms is basically
    the number of generators of G':
    [tex]\theta(a)=b^k[/tex] where gcd(k,m)=1. But i don't really understand why? That is, how are we sure that by just counting the number of generators on G' we are actually finding the total number of such isomorphisms. ?

Any explanations would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Suppose [itex]\theta[/itex] were any isomorphism from G to G'. Apply [itex]\theta[/itex] to a generator of G. It is simple to prove that [itex]\theta[/itex] MUST map a generator to a generator. So it is easy to see that it is a matter of how many generators each has: each mapping of generator to generator gives an isomorphism.

4. Nov 17, 2008 #3
    well, yeah, i know how to prove that an isomorphism perserves the order of each element, and thus must mapp a generator to a generator, but say for example that the generators of G=[a] are a, a^3,a^5, a^7, and the generators of G'= are b, b^3, b^5,b^7, then to me it looks more logical to have these isomorphisms:
    first [tex]\theta(a)=b^i; \theta(a^3)=b^i, \theta(a^5)=b^i;\theta(a^7)=b^i,i=1,3,5,7[/tex] , which means not 4, but 4! isomorphisms.

So, what am i missing here?

5. Nov 17, 2008 #4
    Once you map a generator somewhere you fix where every other element in the group goes. You can't map say a to b and a^3 to b^5 with one homomorphism because the first implies that a^3 must map to b^3.

6. Nov 19, 2008 #5
    well, yeah, i think i get it.

thnx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?