1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Isothermal Expansion of Supersonic Flow

1. Nov 5, 2016 #1
    Hi,

In a standard converging-diverging rocket nozzle, we have (ex.) the relation:[tex](1-M^2)\frac{dV}{V}=-\frac{dA}{A}[/tex]By substituting in definitions, we can obtain[tex]\left(1-\frac{V^2}{\gamma R T}\right)\frac{dV}{V} = -\frac{dA}{A}[/tex]This shows the dependence on temperature.

The relation assumes that the gas expands, accelerates, and cools in an adiabatic process. I would like to know what would happen if the temperature were instead held constant (i.e., by adding energy as the gas expands and accelerates)--but I have been utterly unable to find appropriate equations to replace the isentropic flow relations in the derivation.

What equations apply in this situation?

Ian

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do some research on the thermodynamics of jet engine combustion chambers and reheat systems .

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted