Issue with mass in de Broglie wave

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to find a frequency by calculating the wavelength using the formula wavelength = Planck Constant / (proton mass * velocity). They were able to find the answer, but they are unsure of where they got one of the values, specifically the mass of a proton. This value works in the equation, but the person is unsure of how they arrived at it and is wondering if anyone knows what they were thinking. The calculation is related to upper and lower controls based on frequency and L/C resonance for a hypothetical project, but the values are coming from different sources.
theChosen1
I was looking for a frequency by calculating the wavelength, and I found the answer. However, I have no idea where I came up with one of the values!

my notes say:
wavelength = Planck Constant / (proton mass * velocity)

My values:

1.9078e-21 m = 6.63e-034 / (2.81e-8 * 1.236e-5)

The velocity is equal to longest wavelength of the electromagnetic radiation emitted by the hydrogen atom undergoing a transition from the n = 7 level, shown in m/s. The Planck Constant is what it is.

But what was I thinking when I came up with the mass of a proton as 2.81e-8?! Here's the thing THE NUMBER WORKS. And when I came up with that one, I was like, "Okay, we'll just call that 'proton mass' for now and see what happens."

I'm sure it had something to do with charge and/or angular momentum.

Does anyone know what I was thinking?! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
theChosen1 said:
The velocity is equal to longest wavelength of the electromagnetic radiation emitted by the hydrogen atom undergoing a transition from the n = 7 level, shown in m/s

What.

Also, hydrogen levels are dealing with the electron. What exactly are you calculating?

wotanub said:
What exactly are you calculating?

Upper and lower controls based on frequency and L/C resonance. This is a real Frankenstein project, so values are coming from everywhere.

Nothing to see here folks. In fact, you may lock the thread if you like...

It was a hypothetical that I was working with to arrive at a working number at 3:00am: the hypothetical "weight" of a PHOTON, not a PROTON.

Like I said, "Frankenstein Project".

1. What is the issue with mass in de Broglie wave?

The issue with mass in de Broglie wave is that according to Einstein's theory of relativity, mass and energy are considered to be equivalent and can be converted into one another. However, in de Broglie's wave theory, mass is not taken into account and is not considered as a factor in the wavelength of a particle.

2. How does de Broglie wave theory explain the behavior of particles?

De Broglie's wave theory states that all particles have a wavelength associated with them, and this wavelength is inversely proportional to their momentum. This explains the wave-like behavior of particles, such as diffraction and interference, which cannot be explained by classical particle theory.

3. Can the issue with mass in de Broglie wave be resolved?

There have been attempts to resolve the issue with mass in de Broglie wave, such as incorporating relativistic effects into the wave equation. However, these attempts have not been widely accepted and the issue remains unresolved.

4. What are the implications of the issue with mass in de Broglie wave?

The issue with mass in de Broglie wave has implications in the understanding of the fundamental nature of particles and their behavior. It also has implications in the application of de Broglie's wave theory in various fields, such as quantum mechanics and quantum computing.

5. How does de Broglie's wave theory affect our understanding of the universe?

De Broglie's wave theory is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and has greatly contributed to our understanding of the microscopic world. It has also led to the development of new technologies, such as electron microscopy, which have greatly advanced our understanding of the universe at the atomic level.