Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Issue with mass in de Broglie wave

1. Jun 7, 2013 #1
    I was looking for a frequency by calculating the wavelength, and I found the answer. However, I have no idea where I came up with one of the values!

my notes say:
    wavelength = Planck Constant / (proton mass * velocity)

My values:

1.9078e-21 m = 6.63e-034 / (2.81e-8 * 1.236e-5)

The velocity is equal to longest wavelength of the electromagnetic radiation emitted by the hydrogen atom undergoing a transition from the n = 7 level, shown in m/s. The Planck Constant is what it is.

But what was I thinking when I came up with the mass of a proton as 2.81e-8?! Here's the thing THE NUMBER WORKS. And when I came up with that one, I was like, "Okay, we'll just call that 'proton mass' for now and see what happens."

I'm sure it had something to do with charge and/or angular momentum.

Does anyone know what I was thinking?! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2013 #2
    What.

Also, hydrogen levels are dealing with the electron. What exactly are you calculating?

4. Jun 7, 2013 #3
    Upper and lower controls based on frequency and L/C resonance. This is a real Frankenstein project, so values are coming from everywhere.

5. Jun 8, 2013 #4
    Nothing to see here folks. In fact, you may lock the thread if you like...

It was a hypothetical that I was working with to arrive at a working number at 3:00am: the hypothetical "weight" of a PHOTON, not a PROTON.

Like I said, "Frankenstein Project".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook