How Can a Cylindrical Cavity Create Constant Magnetic Flux Density?

• Thread starter fufufuha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physical
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving creating a region of constant magnetic flux density in a cylindrical cavity using a long cylindrical conductor with a uniform current density. The problem asks for the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field inside the cavity, which is displaced from the axis of the conducting part. The conversation also includes a request for help and a suggestion to post the problem in a homework forum.
fufufuha
It is a physical problem.. please help~

In certain experiments it is desirable to have a region of constant magnetic
flux density. This can be created in an off-center cylindrical cavity that is
cut in a very long cylindrical conductor carrying a uniform current density.
The uniform axial current density is J=az j
Find the magnitude and direction of B in the cylindrical cavity whose axis
is dispalced that of the conducting part by a distance d

I am depressed because of this problem. I have know idea... ㅜㅜ

so... I submit this forum. please help~

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the Physics Forums, fufufuha. This sounds like a homework problem, and if it is, it should be posted in the PF Homework forums:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158

What textbook is this problem in? It sounds like they want you to calculate the B field inside a hollow cylindrical conductor, where there is a uniform DC current flowing up the cylinder wall. It sounds like the answer should show that the B field is fairly uniform off-axis from the center axis of the cylinder. My guess is that you can use Ampere's Law for this, but my E&M books are all at work at the moment, and I'm home...

Edit -- after re-reading your post, I don't think that I understand the geometry of the conductor and the hollow cylinder portion after all. Is there a diagram associated with this problem?

Last edited:
I'm sorry that I'm not good at this forum.

Anyway~ Thanks berkeman

Related to How Can a Cylindrical Cavity Create Constant Magnetic Flux Density?

What is a physical problem?

A physical problem is a problem or issue that involves the physical aspects or properties of an object, system, or phenomenon. It can include things like size, shape, weight, mass, velocity, and other measurable factors.

What causes physical problems?

Physical problems can be caused by a variety of factors, including natural forces such as gravity or friction, external influences such as temperature or pressure, or internal issues such as structural flaws or malfunctions.

How are physical problems solved?

Solving physical problems often involves using scientific principles and methods to analyze the problem, identify potential solutions, and test those solutions to determine the most effective one. This may involve experiments, simulations, or mathematical calculations.

Why are physical problems important to study?

Understanding physical problems is crucial for many fields of science and engineering, as well as everyday life. By studying physical problems, we can gain a better understanding of the world around us and develop solutions to improve our lives and the world we live in.

Can physical problems be prevented?

In some cases, physical problems can be prevented by taking measures to reduce or eliminate the factors that cause them. For example, regular maintenance and proper usage can prevent structural problems in buildings or equipment. However, some physical problems may be inevitable and can only be managed or mitigated.