How to calculate magnetic flux from voltage?

In summary, the formula E = -N dφ/dt represents the voltage or emf generated in a coil when there is a changing magnetic field. The time function, dt, represents the rate of change of the magnetic field, while dφ represents the strength of the magnetic field. Additionally, the strength of the magnetic field is determined by the amount of current, number of coil turns, and core material.
Nads
I understand that magnetic flux density is measured in Teslas or Weber’s per square meter and that voltage or emf is measured using faraday’s law of induction which is
E= - N dφ/dt
Where
N= number parallel fields
Φ = magnetic flux (Wb)
E= emf (V)
What I don’t understand is the time function of the formula. If we rearranged the formula to make flux the subject what would the time function represent? Correct me if I’m wrong but If there is constant voltage and current through a coil then there is a constant magnetic field inside the coil (or through the core if there is one).

In this situation, what does the time variable represent?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nads said:
If there is constant voltage and current through a coil then there is a constant magnetic field inside the coil

You are confused because of the contradiction in your sentence. If the current in an ideal coil is steady, there is a constant field, and there is no voltage. The voltage across a coil is proportional to the rate of change of current. That is where time comes in.

Likes Nads
Thank you for clarifying that.
So if there is no rate of change in current there is no voltage.

Nads said:
I understand that magnetic flux density is measured in Teslas or Weber’s per square meter and that voltage or emf is measured using faraday’s law of induction which is
E= - N dφ/dt
Where
N= number parallel fields
Φ = magnetic flux (Wb)
E= emf (V)
What I don’t understand is the time function of the formula. If we rearranged the formula to make flux the subject what would the time function represent? Correct me if I’m wrong but If there is constant voltage and current through a coil then there is a constant magnetic field inside the coil (or through the core if there is one).

In this situation, what does the time variable represent?

Hi @Nads
The formula you gave works to find the voltage generated in a coil when their is a magnetic field affecting the coil. If you have a permanent magnet and a coil of wire on a table next to each other and not moving, then there is no voltage induced in the coil. Now if you move one of them there is a voltage induced in the coil - the faster you move them in relation to each other the higher the voltage. That is the time term, dt, in the formula. Also, the more the magnetic field changes, dφ, the higher the voltage.

There is a simulation of this at: https://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/electromag/java/faraday2/

For the second part of your understanding, when a wire, or a coil, has current flowing thru it there is a magnetic field generated. Which end is North or South depends on which direction the current is flowing. If there is AC flowing, the field varies with the AC. In either case, AC or DC, the strength of the field is determined by the amount of current, the number of coil turns, and if there is a core, what material is used for a core.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Nads
Tom.G said:
Hi @Nads
The formula you gave works to find the voltage generated in a coil when their is a magnetic field affecting the coil. If you have a permanent magnet and a coil of wire on a table next to each other and not moving, then there is no voltage induced in the coil. Now if you move one of them there is a voltage induced in the coil - the faster you move them in relation to each other the higher the voltage. That is the time term, dt, in the formula. Also, the more the magnetic field changes, dφ, the higher the voltage.

There is a simulation of this at: https://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/electromag/java/faraday2/

For the second part of your understanding, when a wire, or a coil, has current flowing thru it there is a magnetic field generated. Which end is North or South depends on which direction the current is flowing. If there is AC flowing, the field varies with the AC. In either case, AC or DC, the strength of the field is determined by the amount of current, the number of coil turns, and if there is a core, what material is used for a core.

Cheers,
Tom

Thank you, I found the simulation helpful.

Likes Tom.G

What is magnetic flux and how is it related to voltage?

Magnetic flux is the measure of the strength of a magnetic field passing through a given area. It is directly related to voltage through Faraday's law of induction, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field and thus a voltage.

How do I calculate magnetic flux from voltage?

The equation for calculating magnetic flux from voltage is Φ = V * A * cosθ, where Φ is magnetic flux, V is voltage, A is the area perpendicular to the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the surface. This equation assumes a constant magnetic field.

What units are used for magnetic flux and voltage?

Magnetic flux is measured in units of webers (Wb), while voltage is measured in units of volts (V). In the equation Φ = V * A * cosθ, the units for magnetic flux would be Wb, while the units for voltage would be V.

How does the number of coils affect the calculation of magnetic flux?

The number of coils in a wire or solenoid will affect the calculation of magnetic flux by increasing the magnetic field strength. This is because the more coils there are, the more concentrated the magnetic field will be, resulting in a higher magnetic flux value.

Can I calculate magnetic flux if I only know the voltage and the number of coils?

Yes, you can calculate magnetic flux if you only know the voltage and the number of coils. You will need to use the equation Φ = V * N * A * cosθ, where N is the number of coils and A is the area perpendicular to the magnetic field. This equation takes into account the increased magnetic field strength due to the number of coils.