It looks like Tsu will be flying in a MIG

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Flying
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
178 replies · 24K views
Usually a 2 seater is not a variant in and of itself. A lot of them were made for training new pilots in a particular airframe. There are variants of aircraft that expanded to two seaters, like the F-15E, but not always.

For Tsu's sake I hope you're right and it is a 2 seater. She would have to hold on reaaaallly tight if they strap her to a wing.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
She would have to hold on reaaaallly tight if they strap her to a wing

In that case you would probably find her behind it on a tow line and "jet" ski.

<runs and hides> :rolleyes:
 
There she is now
http://img106.echo.cx/img106/3240/howrealmenwaterski0pe.jpg
 
For 15k, you can spend three days and nights in my guest bedroom. You can get high speed rides in my Honda breaking the 'speed limit' while being behind the wheel. The stay includes an all you can eat buffet from the local fast food restaurant of your choice. Finally, we send you back first class in a human sized crate with a peep hole via Fed-Ex.
 
Ivan, have a go in one of these. It is going to be much more intense than a fighter jet.

http://www.incredible-adventures.com/sky-thrills.html

And its only 600 bucks. The flight is 45 mins. For 11k, you would spend the entire day in the air if you wanted to. 14 hours of flight time.

Movie: http://www.skythrills.com/movies/watchvid1.mov
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have made up my mind to go. I guess I had better start helping Tsu plan her own dream vacation if I am to manage this without a divorce. :biggrin: It seems that she doesn't want to fly a Mig, but... hmmm, maybe a ride in an SU 30 would do it...dear...sweetie pie, honey bunch...?

The way I see it, I would rather skip five vacations and go for one with five Migs. I really can't think of anything that could come close to being this cool that I might actually do. So now it's just a matter of how soon. If the business continues to do well, next year might be possible.

I've done most of the continental US, Peru, a good part of Europe, and Hawaii, and truthfully, the hour spent playing LASER tag in Air Combat was by far the most memorable experience of all.

As for the Mig ride here in the U.S., I am still waiting to get a contact number, but I have located two instructors who train Mig pilots so I assume that one of them can help. I was starting to wonder if this guy is BSing, but it turns out that my sister also knows someone who went up fairly recently. The price given to me was $550 a ride but that price is probably a year out of date.
 
Last edited:
su30_01.jpg


Watcha think babycake? :!)
 
http://www.zap16.com/redbull%20airrace%20rotterdam/Extra%20300S%20HA-RED..jpg

Im telling you Ivan, if you fly in a small little stunt airplane like this, you will be pulling maneuvers you would not dream of in a fighter jet. These things are incredible, don't let the prop fool you.

BTW: This is why everyone should support Redbull and buy their products, they support aviation, I love the fact that their company stands for something and supports a cause. You don't see that anymore.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
But basically I've already done that.

Nope, that can't even compare to going vertical to 68,000 feet. :biggrin: This has already reached the status of a major life goal at this point. Obviously something could happen to make it impossible, say for example health problems, but short of death...
 
cyrusabdollahi said:
How about joining the mile high club? :smile:

What makes you think we haven't already? :wink:

Here's what we flew in AC...I think
The SIAI Marchetti SF-260 Aircraft
http://www.aircombat.com/AC_Dogfight.htm
 
Last edited by a moderator:
btw, I'm out of town, so I called Tsu and told her to take a look a this thread. We made a deal...hee hee...she's probably wetting her pants about now trying to decide which custom program she wants to fly. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: The Su-30 and Foxbat did it.
 
For our younger members, a bit of my thinking here:

Since the job I'm on is close to my parent's house, last weekend I was visiting my mother who is in the hospital again. She had a real bad year last year and nearly didn't make it. It's a long sad story, but having looked death in the eye and having had a long time to think about her own life, when I mentioned that I was thinking about doing this, even knowing the cost she didn't hesitate:"DO IT!" she exclaimed. Keep in mind that this is a very, very, frugal woman - a depression era child who felt guilty about spending more than twenty bucks for a dinner.

I for one don't want to be lying in my death bed thinking of what might have been. Follow your dreams and make them happen. That's what mom was saying as well.

...of course it may take years if not decades depending on your dreams. :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Since the job I'm on is close to my parent's house, last weekend I was visiting my mother who is in the hospital again. She had a real bad year last year and nearly didn't make it. It's a long sad story, but having looked death in the eye and having had a long time to think about her own life, when I mentioned that I was thinking about doing this, even knowing the cost she didn't hesitate:"DO IT!" she exclaimed. Keep in mind that this is a very, very, frugal woman - a depression era child who felt guilty about spending more than twenty bucks for a dinner.

I for one don't want to be lying in my death bed thinking of what might have been. Follow your dreams and make them happen. That's what mom was saying as well.


AMEN BROTHER! WHen you're at the "asymptotic" end of your life, only a few things matter. Up in Beyond the Standard Model Marcus posted Leigh Hunt's "Jenny Kissed Me" (prompted by me). That poem ends

Say I'm weary, say I'm sad,
Say that health and wealth have missed me,
Say I'm growing old, but add
Jenny kissed me.

Or that once upon a time I flew in a MIG!
 
After dreaming of migs, I woke up yesterday with the words "eject!" "eject!" "eject!" ringing in my ears. Then I found myself thinking how it would be cool to eject... Okay, that may be taking things a bit far. How does one say "eject" in Russian?

Really, I would be more comfortable ejecting than having to parachute for the first time from a burning or disabled craft. When I did AC that was the most terrifying prospect. The parachute lesson lasted about a minute. In fact it boiled down to "jump and pull the cord". "I'll probably stay with the plane and try to land it", he added.

I knew someone who went completely blank on her first jump. She said that if she hadn't been jumping in tandem with an instructor, she probably never would have pulled the rip cord.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
After dreaming of migs, I woke up yesterday with the words "eject!" "eject!" "eject!" ringing in my ears. Then I found myself thinking how it would be cool to eject... Okay, that may be taking things a bit far. How does one say "eject" in Russian?
To quote the following interesting website http://www.costnet.com/mig.htm
In the front cockpit, I had control of the ejection seat. Sasha said,
"Bill, if I give the word 'EJECT, EJECT, EJECT' that is not a subject
for discussion, I go first then you." I agreed completely and without reservation.
:rolleyes:

I've found a nice picture of a MIG-29 cockpit: http://www.quebecairforce.com/falcon/Fichiers/VersionF4/RP5/Cockpits/Mig-29/Migpitexplanation3.JPG

I'm not sure what is written on the red lever on the next picture, however I think you should pull the one between your legs...just in case :wink:

http://www.topedge.com/panels/aircraft/sites/wap/reviews/mig29/images/cockpit.jpg

Regards,

nazzard
 
Last edited by a moderator:
One more thing. If anyone here is interested I am hoping to get a small group together for a discounted rate. If you might be able to do this please pm.

How about it Astronuc? I know Fred just had a baby, but what about our other working engineers and scientists? Surely some of you must want to do this.
 
nazzard said:
I go first then you[/url]

nazzard

Hey, just like the dream. :biggrin: That would be a about as intense and surreal as anything I can imagine.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
How about it Astronuc? I know Fred just had a baby, but what about our other working engineers and scientists? Surely some of you must want to do this.
My wife would take a very dim view of me flying in a MiG. She has forbidden me to ride motorcycles or skydive or drive very fast cars. She doesn't want me to get seriously hurt or killed. If I did that, she'd kill me - and then she would really hurt me. :smile:

So with the group discount - how much are we talking about? :biggrin:
 
Astronuc said:
My wife would take a very dim view of me flying in a MiG. She has forbidden me to ride motorcycles or skydive or drive very fast cars. She doesn't want me to get seriously hurt or killed. If I did that, she'd kill me - and then she would really hurt me. :smile:

So with the group discount - how much are we talking about? :biggrin:

It depends on the program chosen and the vendor - I think there are a few different ones - but no less than 10K I would guess. The one program offered was 11K including a five star hotel. Travel is not included in that particular case. You can spend beyond that as much as desired. :biggrin:

If we can get three or more people [plus Tsu and me] we might have a little bargaining power. In addition to the basic group plans, I'm told that everything in Russia is negotiable.
 
I know this all sounds way over the top but think of it as the vacation and thrill of a lifetime.

the foxbat goes to 80,000 feet and mach 2.5, IIRC.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
If we can get three or more people [plus Tsu and me] we might have a little bargaining power. In addition to the basic group plans, I'm told that everything in Russia is negotiable.
In Russia, this is?

What's the time frame? I'd have to get my paperwork in order.
 
Astronuc said:
In Russia, this is?

What's the time frame? I'd have to get my paperwork in order.

I was arbitrarily setting a date of one year from now; sooner if it becomes practical. This should allow enough time for everyone to schedule vacations, get the money together, etc.
 
Yes, since the top military aircraft are available, and since this is done at a military base, we even need to get Russian security clearances. I would imagine that this means swearing that we're not spies.
 
You do realize that russia is going broke, right Ivan?

Why don't you use all that pooled money to just buy a mig.
 
cyrusabdollahi said:
You do realize that russia is going broke, right Ivan?

Why don't you use all that pooled money to just buy a mig.

This really bothers you doesn't it. :smile:

If you think this is just a huge waste of money then don't bother trying to understand. Either you have the bug or you don't. If you do, there is virtually nothing that will stop you given half a chance to do something like this.
 
:smile: I understand where your coming from, I would love to go up in a mig too. Just not for that steep a price. :-p I'd rather learn how to fly.
 
I agree... for $15k you can get your private pilot's license, your IFR rating, and probably a couple of ratings on complex or multi-engine aircraft. Then you'd be able to fly them yourself, for the rest of your life. Granted, Cessna's don't pull 10 g's or go Mach 2.5, though. :biggrin:

- Warren