It looks like Tsu will be flying in a MIG

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flying
In summary, the article says that there is a place in Georgia where you can pay to fly in a T-34 mentor and do simulated combat in the air. The article also says that the T-34 has a wing failure because they are putting the airplanes under high loads continuously. The article also says that MIGs are very good airplanes.
FredGarvin said:
You are such a loser. I think that because of your lack of security clearance that I will have to put you on my ignore list.

Good day............I said good day!

:smile: Hey screw you Garvin! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
cyrusabdollahi said:
:smile: Hey screw you Garvin! :smile:
I'd reply, but you're on my ignore list, you non-clearance having low life.:-p

Zero-gravity flights in a "vomit comet" are commercially available for $3,000:

A typical parabolic flight lasts about 90 minutes, with 15 up-and-down parabolas at an altitude of 24,000 to 34,000 feet. Two "Martian" arcs simulate one-third Earth gravity, three "lunar" arcs feel like one-sixth Earth gravity, and the final 10 provide the full zero-gravity experience.-- http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5992077/

tdy_couric_vomitcomet_040916.300w.jpg

Vomit_comet.gif

Ivan Seeking said:
Okay then you're not invited to the PF Mig flying party. :-p

btw, it was ONLY 11K for the flight. I figured the other nine for travel, which is probably way too high.

Okay, If it includes going to Russia, better not underestimate the costs. I've heard some stories of what they make you pay.

Second, if you go for the dogfight, be sure to be well prepared, otherwise it will be just a vague experience in gray outs and black out's. How? Get plenty of roller coaster rides in the worst killers that are available to work up g-tolerance. And learn to "strain", put max tension on the muscles and press your breath, the way that gets your face red, normally. It will not do that under 4+g but it's the only way to stay in there and maintain situational awareness.

And you're right it's great. Fortunately my boss payed me for doing it a few hundred times.

Mission patch

Hello Tsu and Ivan,

every "mission" should have a proper mission patch, right? :biggrin:

I'd like to share my attempt. :smile:

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/1620/pfaa2do.jpg

I know it's no MIG, but a nice toy nevertheless. :blushing:

Regards,

nazzard

I'd like to thank Adrian Pingstone who published the picture of an Extra EA300S at wikipedia and released it into the public domain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey!111 SWWEEETTT!1111 Thanks!111 :biggrin:

That is so freakin' cool, nazzard!
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Andre said:
And you're right it's great. Fortunately my boss payed me for doing it a few hundred times.

I would have signed on in a heartbeat if I had a chance of passing the physical for fighter pilots - not a prayer.

nazzard said:
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/1620/pfaa2do.jpg

:smile: :smile: :smile: Very cool nazzard

Thats a nice job.

It's a Mig 21. Currently I am still trying to track the guy down. Apparently he travels around doing this, so it may take a little time to make contact. When I have the information and I know it all checks out -probably after we go - I'll post the contact info for anyone interested.

I don't think we can afford to contact him Ivan. :smile:

Mig-21, not bad, not bad.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I don't think we can afford to contact him Ivan. :smile:

Now now, patience. :smile: One good job and something like this is nothing to manage... if you are willing to throw aside reason and go for it once in a while. :biggrin:

Yes, I was thinking "please say twenty-one, PLEASE say twenty-one..."

A MiG 21. Cool. I'll be interested to hear what variant the person actually flies.

Last edited:
Usually a 2 seater is not a variant in and of itself. A lot of them were made for training new pilots in a particular airframe. There are variants of aircraft that expanded to two seaters, like the F-15E, but not always.

For Tsu's sake I hope you're right and it is a 2 seater. She would have to hold on reaaaallly tight if they strap her to a wing.

She would have to hold on reaaaallly tight if they strap her to a wing

In that case you would probably find her behind it on a tow line and "jet" ski.

<runs and hides> :rolleyes:

There she is now
http://img106.echo.cx/img106/3240/howrealmenwaterski0pe.jpg

Check out this package!

The Top Gun Program
This seven-day, six-night adventure includes one flight in each of our five jets. Fly the L-39 jet trainer, the MiG-23, the MiG-25, the MiG-29 and the Su-30.
http://www.incredible-adventures.com/migs/program.html

I think my head is going to explode just thinking about it.

For 15k, you can spend three days and nights in my guest bedroom. You can get high speed rides in my Honda breaking the 'speed limit' while being behind the wheel. The stay includes an all you can eat buffet from the local fast food restaurant of your choice. Finally, we send you back first class in a human sized crate with a peep hole via Fed-Ex.

Ivan, have a go in one of these. It is going to be much more intense than a fighter jet.

http://www.incredible-adventures.com/sky-thrills.html

And its only 600 bucks. The flight is 45 mins. For 11k, you would spend the entire day in the air if you wanted to. 14 hours of flight time.

Movie: http://www.skythrills.com/movies/watchvid1.mov

Well, I have made up my mind to go. I guess I had better start helping Tsu plan her own dream vacation if I am to manage this without a divorce. :biggrin: It seems that she doesn't want to fly a Mig, but... hmmm, maybe a ride in an SU 30 would do it...dear...sweetie pie, honey bunch...?

The way I see it, I would rather skip five vacations and go for one with five Migs. I really can't think of anything that could come close to being this cool that I might actually do. So now it's just a matter of how soon. If the business continues to do well, next year might be possible.

I've done most of the continental US, Peru, a good part of Europe, and Hawaii, and truthfully, the hour spent playing LASER tag in Air Combat was by far the most memorable experience of all.

As for the Mig ride here in the U.S., I am still waiting to get a contact number, but I have located two instructors who train Mig pilots so I assume that one of them can help. I was starting to wonder if this guy is BSing, but it turns out that my sister also knows someone who went up fairly recently. The price given to me was $550 a ride but that price is probably a year out of date.

Last edited:
su30_01.jpg

Watcha think babycake? :!)

http://www.zap16.com/redbull%20airrace%20rotterdam/Extra%20300S%20HA-RED..jpg

Im telling you Ivan, if you fly in a small little stunt airplane like this, you will be pulling maneuvers you would not dream of in a fighter jet. These things are incredible, don't let the prop fool you.

BTW: This is why everyone should support Redbull and buy their products, they support aviation, I love the fact that their company stands for something and supports a cause. You don't see that anymore.

But basically I've already done that.

Nope, that can't even compare to going vertical to 68,000 feet. :biggrin: This has already reached the status of a major life goal at this point. Obviously something could happen to make it impossible, say for example health problems, but short of death...

How about joining the mile high club? :smile:

cyrusabdollahi said:
How about joining the mile high club? :smile:

What makes you think we haven't already? :wink:

Here's what we flew in AC...I think
The SIAI Marchetti SF-260 Aircraft
http://www.aircombat.com/AC_Dogfight.htm

btw, I'm out of town, so I called Tsu and told her to take a look a this thread. We made a deal...hee hee...she's probably wetting her pants about now trying to decide which custom program she wants to fly. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: The Su-30 and Foxbat did it.

Damn that Sukhoi is sexy.

For our younger members, a bit of my thinking here:

Since the job I'm on is close to my parent's house, last weekend I was visiting my mother who is in the hospital again. She had a real bad year last year and nearly didn't make it. It's a long sad story, but having looked death in the eye and having had a long time to think about her own life, when I mentioned that I was thinking about doing this, even knowing the cost she didn't hesitate:"DO IT!" she exclaimed. Keep in mind that this is a very, very, frugal woman - a depression era child who felt guilty about spending more than twenty bucks for a dinner.

I for one don't want to be lying in my death bed thinking of what might have been. Follow your dreams and make them happen. That's what mom was saying as well.

...of course it may take years if not decades depending on your dreams. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Since the job I'm on is close to my parent's house, last weekend I was visiting my mother who is in the hospital again. She had a real bad year last year and nearly didn't make it. It's a long sad story, but having looked death in the eye and having had a long time to think about her own life, when I mentioned that I was thinking about doing this, even knowing the cost she didn't hesitate:"DO IT!" she exclaimed. Keep in mind that this is a very, very, frugal woman - a depression era child who felt guilty about spending more than twenty bucks for a dinner.

I for one don't want to be lying in my death bed thinking of what might have been. Follow your dreams and make them happen. That's what mom was saying as well.

AMEN BROTHER! WHen you're at the "asymptotic" end of your life, only a few things matter. Up in Beyond the Standard Model Marcus posted Leigh Hunt's "Jenny Kissed Me" (prompted by me). That poem ends

Say I'm weary, say I'm sad,
Say that health and wealth have missed me,
Say I'm growing old, but add
Jenny kissed me.

Or that once upon a time I flew in a MIG!

After dreaming of migs, I woke up yesterday with the words "eject!" "eject!" "eject!" ringing in my ears. Then I found myself thinking how it would be cool to eject... Okay, that may be taking things a bit far. How does one say "eject" in Russian?

Really, I would be more comfortable ejecting than having to parachute for the first time from a burning or disabled craft. When I did AC that was the most terrifying prospect. The parachute lesson lasted about a minute. In fact it boiled down to "jump and pull the cord". "I'll probably stay with the plane and try to land it", he added.

I knew someone who went completely blank on her first jump. She said that if she hadn't been jumping in tandem with an instructor, she probably never would have pulled the rip cord.

Ivan Seeking said:
After dreaming of migs, I woke up yesterday with the words "eject!" "eject!" "eject!" ringing in my ears. Then I found myself thinking how it would be cool to eject... Okay, that may be taking things a bit far. How does one say "eject" in Russian?
To quote the following interesting website http://www.costnet.com/mig.htm
In the front cockpit, I had control of the ejection seat. Sasha said,
"Bill, if I give the word 'EJECT, EJECT, EJECT' that is not a subject
for discussion, I go first then you." I agreed completely and without reservation.
:rolleyes:

I've found a nice picture of a MIG-29 cockpit: http://www.quebecairforce.com/falcon/Fichiers/VersionF4/RP5/Cockpits/Mig-29/Migpitexplanation3.JPG

I'm not sure what is written on the red lever on the next picture, however I think you should pull the one between your legs...just in case :wink:

http://www.topedge.com/panels/aircraft/sites/wap/reviews/mig29/images/cockpit.jpg

Regards,

nazzard

One more thing. If anyone here is interested I am hoping to get a small group together for a discounted rate. If you might be able to do this please pm.

How about it Astronuc? I know Fred just had a baby, but what about our other working engineers and scientists? Surely some of you must want to do this.

nazzard said:
I go first then you[/url]

nazzard

Hey, just like the dream. :biggrin: That would be a about as intense and surreal as anything I can imagine.