1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Iterated integrals converted to polar

1. Dec 8, 2013 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ∫[itex]^{4}_{0}[/itex] ∫[itex]^{√(4y-y^{2})}_{0}[/itex] (x2) dx dy

The attempt at a solution

I'm confused on how to convert the bounds into polar coordinates.

I believe x2 just becomes r2cos2θ

0≤x≤√(4y-y2)
    0≤y≤4

but i don't know how to convert the bounds

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Have you drawn a sketch of the region over which integration is taking place? That's very important when you're changing from one coordinate system to another.

4. Dec 8, 2013 #3
    ya I came up with a half circle in the 1st quadrant thats center is on 2 and it's radius is 2 but i can't figure out how to use that to find my bounds. If the center was on 0 I would be a lot more comfortable

5. Dec 8, 2013 #4
    I plugged in the values of x and y for polar coordinates and came up with r=4sinθ so would my r bounds simply go from 0→4sinθ?

6. Dec 8, 2013 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your description isn't very clear, but I think you understand what the region looks like.

The equation of your circle is x2 + y2 - 4y = 0, where x ≥ 0 (for the right half).

Converting to polar form, we get r2 - 4rsin(θ) = 0, or r(r - 4sin(θ)) = 0. Since there is a value of θ that is paired with r = 0, we don't lose any solutions by dividing by r.

The polar equation of your circle is r = 4sin(θ).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted