It's expensive to go to college in Maine

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary,Maine is a rural state with only a little over a million people.We've got some really expensive private schools, but I was quite surprised to see that 3 of our private schools (Bates, Bowdoin, and Colby) were among the top 25 most expensive schools in the US.Dartmouth is a bit further down the list, but my cousin's daughter was able to attend there on an almost full-boat scholarship (including foreign study) because of her academic excellence and an affirmative-action effort based on the fact that she is about 1/2 Oglala Sioux.Maine doesn't have a state university, does it?Are there
turbo
Gold Member
Maine is a rural state with only a little over a million people. We've got some really expensive private schools, but I was quite surprised to see that 3 of our private schools (Bates, Bowdoin, and Colby) were among the top 25 most expensive schools in the US. Dartmouth is a bit further down the list, but my cousin's daughter was able to attend there on an almost full-boat scholarship (including foreign study) because of her academic excellence and an affirmative-action effort based on the fact that she is about 1/2 Oglala Sioux.

http://www.campusgrotto.com/colleges-with-the-highest-total-cost.html

Physics news on Phys.org
HOLY <insert multiple swear words here>!

50 grand a YEAR!

Makes me so bloody glad I live in the UK. 5 years at Uni cost me £24K + living expenses.Edit: Actually that isn't as bad as I first thought.
It is important to note that just because these schools have high tuition, doesn’t mean you will actually be paying that amount. Many of these colleges provide excellent financial aid packages. A lot of these schools offer scholarships that often cover most of the financial burden of attending the college. For example, MIT is tuition-free for families earning less than $75,000 a year.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Dartmouth is a bit further down the list...

Dartmouth isn't in Maine. Isn't it in NH? (As opposed to the Dartmouth Campus of University of MA, which is yet another of those universities that tries to co-opt a bigger university's name, which annoys me to no end.) Maine doesn't have a state university, does it? Are there any other states that don't have a state university?

Moonbear said:
Dartmouth isn't in Maine. Isn't it in NH? (As opposed to the Dartmouth Campus of University of MA, which is yet another of those universities that tries to co-opt a bigger university's name, which annoys me to no end.) Maine doesn't have a state university, does it? Are there any other states that don't have a state university?
Dartmouth is in northern NH. Maine has a very nice land-grant university (the University of Maine) that is a leader in structural materials involving wood.

xxChrisxx said:

50 grand a YEAR!

Makes me so bloody glad I live in the UK. 5 years at Uni cost me £24K + living expenses.

Edit: Actually that isn't as bad as I first thought.

Keep in mind, that's for private colleges. Public universities are *much, much* cheaper.

Annual tuition at my alma matter (University of Washington) for a resident undergrad: http://www.washington.edu/admin/pb/home/pdf/tuition/2009-10-tf-annual.pdf".

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
... based on the fact that she is about 1/2 Oglala Sioux.

"..about 1/2..."

You're going to have to explain that one.

lisab said:
Keep in mind, that's for private colleges. Public universities are *much, much* cheaper.

Annual tuition at my alma matter (University of Washington) for a resident undergrad: http://www.washington.edu/admin/pb/home/pdf/tuition/2009-10-tf-annual.pdf".

With such a massive price difference, are public Universities considered inferior to private? Or are public universities the norm and private extra special?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chi Meson said:
"..about 1/2..."

You're going to have to explain that one.
I knew her father and her mother well. John was about as full Sioux as you could get.

xxChrisxx said:
With such a massive price difference, are public Universities considered inferior to private?

In my opinion, no, not at all. You can find the full spectrum of excellent-to-poor education quality in both private and public universities.

xxChrisxx said:
With such a massive price difference, are public Universities considered inferior to private? Or are public universities the norm and private extra special?

Private just means you spend a lot more money for nothing much special. For a weaker student who needs a lot of coddling and spoon-feeding, a private university might be beneficial, but mostly it's like the difference between designer jeans and no-name jeans...the designer ones might come with a fancy label and expensive price tag, but the no-name ones do just as good of a job of keeping your bottom covered.

xxChrisxx said:
50 grand a YEAR!

Makes me so bloody glad I live in the UK. 5 years at Uni cost me £24K + living expenses.

Yup, got to remember conversion rate :)

xxChrisxx said:
With such a massive price difference, are public Universities considered inferior to private?

The best private universities are better than the best public universities. But overall, there's not that much difference. I went to a top-notch public university, myself.

Pengwuino said:
Yup, got to remember conversion rate :)

Yeah but it cost me 24000GBP for 5 years, which even after conversion means half a decade cost less than 1 year at a private University in the US.

It seems that it's about comparable to public Uni though, I was lucky that I only paid £1250 in tuition fees as I started before the introduction of top up fees. People going now would pay £3200 a year, and they are thinking of putting it up to £6k per year. Which is an utter joke.

xxChrisxx said:

50 grand a YEAR!

Keep in mind MIT will probably accept only so many coming from families who make less that $75k.

Related to It's expensive to go to college in Maine

What is the average cost of tuition at colleges in Maine?

The average cost of tuition at colleges in Maine is around $35,000 per year for in-state students and around $50,000 per year for out-of-state students. However, this can vary depending on the specific college and program.

Are there any financial aid options available for students in Maine?

Yes, there are various financial aid options available for students in Maine, including grants, scholarships, and loans. The state also offers its own financial aid programs, such as the Maine State Grant, to help students cover the cost of tuition.

What are some ways to save money when attending college in Maine?

Some ways to save money when attending college in Maine include choosing a more affordable college or program, applying for financial aid, living off-campus, and finding part-time work or internships to help cover expenses.

Is it more expensive to attend a private college or a public college in Maine?

In general, private colleges in Maine tend to have higher tuition costs than public colleges. However, this can vary depending on the specific college and program. It's important to research and compare the costs of different colleges before making a decision.

Are there any resources available to help students manage the cost of attending college in Maine?

Yes, there are resources available to help students manage the cost of attending college in Maine. These include financial aid counselors at colleges, as well as state and federal resources such as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Maine Educational Opportunity Tax Credit.