Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

J. D. Jackson has passed away

1. May 25, 2016 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Yes, this is sad. We didn't use his book when I took physics instead we used our profs book which was very good with problems that weren't as difficult as Jackson's to our regret.

I think because Jackson was considered a graduate level book when it first came out. However, Jackson's book was and still is the gold standard.

4. May 26, 2016 #3

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In my graduate-level E&M course, we were assigned eight Jackson problems a week. Fun times!

5. May 26, 2016 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's very sad to hear this. I think his textbook is one of the most influential textbooks in physics - a cornerstone of a physicist's education. It seems to me that in a lot of graduate programs, Jackson's E&M is a required course, regardless of the subfield that you choose. That really says something about how important it is.

He's one of those giants whose shoulders we all get to stand on - if we're fortunate enough.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted