Remembering J. D. Jackson: A Tribute to a Physics Legend

• Thread starter Telemachus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jackson
In summary, the conversation discusses the passing of physicist John David Jackson and the impact his book, Classical Electrodynamics, had on the field of physics. The speakers share their personal experiences with using the book as undergraduate and graduate students and its reputation as the "gold standard" in the field. They also recognize Jackson's influence and contribution to physics education, with many graduate programs requiring his book as a course. His passing is seen as a loss for the scientific community.
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is sad. We didn't use his book when I took physics instead we used our profs book which was very good with problems that weren't as difficult as Jackson's to our regret.

I think because Jackson was considered a graduate level book when it first came out. However, Jackson's book was and still is the gold standard.

Likes Telemachus
In my graduate-level E&M course, we were assigned eight Jackson problems a week. Fun times!

Likes Telemachus
It's very sad to hear this. I think his textbook is one of the most influential textbooks in physics - a cornerstone of a physicist's education. It seems to me that in a lot of graduate programs, Jackson's E&M is a required course, regardless of the subfield that you choose. That really says something about how important it is.

He's one of those giants whose shoulders we all get to stand on - if we're fortunate enough.

Likes Telemachus

1. Who was J. D. Jackson?

J. D. Jackson was a prominent physicist and professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). He was known for his contributions to theoretical physics, particularly in the field of quantum field theory.

2. When did J. D. Jackson pass away?

J. D. Jackson passed away on May 20th, 2020 at the age of 94.

3. What were J. D. Jackson's major accomplishments?

J. D. Jackson made significant contributions to the field of theoretical physics, including his groundbreaking textbook "Classical Electrodynamics" which is still widely used in universities today. He also served as the president of the American Physical Society and received numerous awards for his work, including the National Medal of Science.

4. How did J. D. Jackson's passing impact the scientific community?

J. D. Jackson's passing was a great loss to the scientific community, as he was a highly respected and influential figure in the field of theoretical physics. Many of his colleagues and former students have expressed their sadness and gratitude for his contributions.

5. What is J. D. Jackson's legacy?

J. D. Jackson's legacy will continue to live on through his influential work in theoretical physics and his impact on the scientific community. He will be remembered as a brilliant scientist, mentor, and leader in the field.