Jackson 3.9 - my coefficients are vanishing

L}{{m\pi }}\left( { - 2 - 2} \right)\right]} \\ A_\nu = \frac{{2V}}{{m\pi I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi b}}{L}} \right)}}\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {d\varphi \sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)} \\ A_\nu = \frac{{2V}}{{m\pi I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi b}}{L}} \right)}}\left[ { - \frac{2}{{\nu \pi }}\
Old Guy

Homework Statement

A hollow right circular cylinder of radius b has its axis coincident with the z axis and its ends at z=0 and z=L. the potential on the end faces is zero, while the potential on the cylindrical surface is given as V([tex]\varphi,z[/tex] ). Using the appropriate separation of variables in cylindrical coordinates, find a series solution for the potential anywhere inside the cylinder.

Homework Equations

I've come up with
[tex]$\Phi \left( {\rho ,\varphi ,z} \right) = \sum\limits_{\nu = 0}^\infty {\sum\limits_{m = 1,3,5,...}^\infty {\left[ {A_\nu \sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right) + B_\nu \cos \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)} \right]\left[ {\sin \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}z} \right)} \right]\left[ {I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}\rho } \right)} \right]} } $[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving the above at the surface of the cylinder and using Fourier's Trick, I got the following for A
[tex]A_\nu = \frac{V}{{I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi b}}{L}} \right)}}\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {\int\limits_0^L {\sin \left( {\nu '\varphi } \right)\sin \left( {\frac{{m'\pi }}{L}z} \right)dzd\varphi } } $[/tex]

The problem is that when I do the integration, the coefficient vanishes (same thing happens with B) although I know that I need both A and B.

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be assuming [itex]V(\phi,z)[/itex] is a constant [itex]V[/itex], but my copy of Jackson gives:

[tex]V(\phi,z)=\left\{\begin{array}{lr}V,& -\frac{\pi}{2}<\phi<\frac{\pi}{2}\\-V,&\frac{\pi}{2}<\phi<\frac{3\pi}{2}\end{array}[/tex]

Also, your coefficient depend on both [itex]\nu[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex], so they should really be labeled [itex]A_{\nu m}[/itex] and [itex]B_{\nu m}[/itex]. You also seem to be missing a factor of [itex]\frac{2}{L\pi}[/itex] from your expression for [itex]A_{\nu m}[/itex], and I have no idea why you are only summing over odd values of [itex]m[/itex] or why you have primed indices in your expression.

[tex]A_\nu = \frac{2}{{L\pi I_\nu \left( \frac{{m\pi b}}{L} \right)}}\int\limits_0^{2\pi } \int\limits_0^L V(\phi,z)\sin \left( \nu \varphi \right)\sin \left( \frac{{m\pi }}{L}z \right)dzd\varphi[/tex]

Last edited:
gabbagabbahey said:
You seem to be assuming [itex]V(\phi,z)[/itex] is a constant [itex]V[/itex], but my copy of Jackson gives:

[tex]V(\phi,z)=\left\{\begin{array}{lr}V,& -\frac{\pi}{2}<\phi<\frac{\pi}{2}\\-V,&\frac{\pi}{2}<\phi<\frac{3\pi}{2}\end{array}[/tex]

Also, your coefficient depend on both [itex]\nu[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex], so they should really be labeled [itex]A_{\nu m}[/itex] and [itex]B_{\nu m}[/itex]. You also seem to be missing a factor of [itex]\frac{2}{L\pi}[/itex] from your expression for [itex]A_{\nu m}[/itex], and I have no idea why you are only summing over odd values of [itex]m[/itex] or why you have primed indices in your expression.

[tex]A_\nu = \frac{2}{{L\pi I_\nu \left( \frac{{m\pi b}}{L} \right)}}\int\limits_0^{2\pi } \int\limits_0^L V(\phi,z)\sin \left( \nu \varphi \right)\sin \left( \frac{{m\pi }}{L}z \right)dzd\varphi[/tex]

First, the 2-part potential you show is Problem 3.10 in my version of Jackson; I'm working on 3.9 where the potential is given as V on the sides of the cylinder.

Next, I realize the coefficients depend on both nu and m; I'll confess to a bit of sloppiness on that one.

Also, I made an error on the integration wrt z; that gives the [itex]\frac{2}{L\pi}[/itex] factor, but shouldn't there also be an m in the denominiator? When you do this, odd values of m come out of the integration wrt z. The primes can be ignored; they are an artifact of theway I originally learned Fourier's Trick.

But, I"m still left with the integration of sine of [tex]\nu\varphi[/tex] between 0 and 2[tex]\pi[/tex]; won't that be zero since nu is an integer (according to Jackson)?

Thanks very much for your help; I've got a nagging feeling I'm missing something simple.

Old Guy said:
First, the 2-part potential you show is Problem 3.10 in my version of Jackson; I'm working on 3.9 where the potential is given as V on the sides of the cylinder.

Okay yes, the potential I showed is from 3.10. For 3.9, you aren't actually told that [itex]V(\phi,z)[/itex] is a constant are you?

Also, I made an error on the integration wrt z; that gives the [itex]\frac{2}{L\pi}[/itex] factor, but shouldn't there also be an m in the denominiator? When you do this, odd values of m come out of the integration wrt z.

I don't see where the [itex]1/m[/itex] would come from...can you post your calculation?

But, I"m still left with the integration of sine of [tex]\nu\varphi[/tex] between 0 and 2[tex]\pi[/tex]; won't that be zero since nu is an integer (according to Jackson)?

Thanks very much for your help; I've got a nagging feeling I'm missing something simple.

Again, I think the problem is that you are assuming that [itex]V(\phi,z)[/itex] is a constant [itex]V[/itex]...if you aren't specifically told this, you need to simply leave it as [itex]V(\phi,z)[/itex] and keep it inside the integral. You won't be able to explicitly evaluate the integrals of course, but I suspect you aren't meant to for prob 3.9.

After all the time I spend telling my students to read the problems carefully and literally, I make the same mistake. I'm humbled ut appreciative.[tex]\varpi[/tex]

Here is my integral of the z term:
[tex]$\begin{array}{l}
A_\nu = \frac{V}{{I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi b}}{L}} \right)}}\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {d\varphi \int\limits_0^L {\sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)\sin \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}z} \right)dz} } \\
A_\nu = \frac{V}{{I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi b}}{L}} \right)}}\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {d\varphi \sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)\left[ { - \frac{L}{{m\pi }}\cos \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}z} \right)} \right]} _0^L \\
A_\nu = \frac{V}{{I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi b}}{L}} \right)}}\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {d\varphi \sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)\left[ { - \frac{L}{{m\pi }}\left( {\cos m\pi - 1} \right)} \right]} \\
A_\nu = \frac{V}{{I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi b}}{L}} \right)}}\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {d\varphi \sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)\left[ { - \frac{L}{{m\pi }}\left( { - 1 - 1} \right)} \right]} \\
A_\nu = \frac{V}{{I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi b}}{L}} \right)}}\frac{{2L}}{{m\pi }}\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {d\varphi \sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)} \\
\end{array}$[/tex]
Seems like that m should be there.

Old Guy said:
After all the time I spend telling my students to read the problems carefully and literally, I make the same mistake. I'm humbled ut appreciative.[tex]\varpi[/tex]

Here is my integral of the z term:
[tex]$\begin{array}{l}
A_\nu = \frac{V}{{I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi b}}{L}} \right)}}\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {d\varphi \int\limits_0^L {\sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)\sin \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}z} \right)dz} } \\
A_\nu = \frac{V}{{I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi b}}{L}} \right)}}\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {d\varphi \sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)\left[ { - \frac{L}{{m\pi }}\cos \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}z} \right)} \right]} _0^L \\
A_\nu = \frac{V}{{I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi b}}{L}} \right)}}\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {d\varphi \sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)\left[ { - \frac{L}{{m\pi }}\left( {\cos m\pi - 1} \right)} \right]} \\
A_\nu = \frac{V}{{I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi b}}{L}} \right)}}\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {d\varphi \sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)\left[ { - \frac{L}{{m\pi }}\left( { - 1 - 1} \right)} \right]} \\
A_\nu = \frac{V}{{I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi b}}{L}} \right)}}\frac{{2L}}{{m\pi }}\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {d\varphi \sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)} \\
\end{array}$[/tex]
Seems like that m should be there.

But how did you get to that first integral from

[tex]\Phi \left( {\rho ,\varphi ,z} \right) = \sum\limits_{\nu = 0}^\infty {\sum\limits_{m = 1,3,5,...}^\infty {\left[ {A_\nu \sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right) + B_\nu \cos \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)} \right]\left[ {\sin \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}z} \right)} \right]\left[ {I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}\rho } \right)} \right]} }[/tex]

And why are you only summing over odd [itex]m[/itex] in the above equation...surely

[tex]\Phi_{\nu m}(\rho,\phi,z)=\left[A_{\nu m} \sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right) + B_{\nu m} \cos \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)\right]\sin \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}z} \right) I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}\rho } \right)[/itex]

satisfies Laplace's equation and your boundary conditions [itex]\Phi(\rho,\phi,0)=\Phi(\rho,\phi,L)=0[/itex] for even [itex]m[/itex] aswell?

I see the point about m odd, so let's change the starting equation back to:
[tex]\Phi \left( {\rho ,\varphi ,z} \right) = \sum\limits_{\nu = 0}^\infty {\sum\limits_{m = 0}^\infty {\left[ {A_{\nu m}\sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right) + B_\nu \cos \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)} \right]\left[ {\sin \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}z} \right)} \right]\left[ {I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}\rho } \right)} \right]} } $
[/tex]
I've assumed the double sum can be split (like we routinely do with single sums), so on the left side I would have [tex]\Phi _A \left( {\rho ,\varphi ,z} \right) + \Phi _B \left( {\rho ,\varphi ,z} \right)$
[/tex]
corresponding to the two parts. Then, for A:
[tex]\Phi _A \left( {\rho ,\varphi ,z} \right) = \sum\limits_{\nu = 0}^\infty {\sum\limits_{m = 0}^\infty {\left[ {A_{\nu m}\sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)} \right]\left[ {\sin \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}z} \right)} \right]\left[ {I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}\rho } \right)} \right]} } $
[/tex]
Then I substitute b (the radius) for [tex]\rho[/tex]. The modified Bessel function value is now constant, leaving only the [tex]\varphi[/tex] and z variables. Fourier's Trick gets me to
[tex]\\A_{\nu m} = \frac{\Phi _A \left( {b,\varphi ,z} \right) }{{I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi b}}{L}} \right)}}\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {\int\limits_0^L {\sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)\sin \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}z} \right)dzd\varphi } } $
[/tex]
And, of course, a similar approach with the B coefficient.

You are still skipping important steps, and making errors in the process. How do you go from

[tex]\Phi _A \left( {b,\varphi ,z} \right) = \sum\limits_{\nu = 0}^\infty {\sum\limits_{m = 0}^\infty {\left[ {A_{\nu m}\sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)} \right]\left[ {\sin \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}z} \right)} \right]\left[ {I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}b } \right)} \right]} }[/tex]

to

[tex]\\A_{\nu m} = \frac{\Phi _A \left( {b,\varphi ,z} \right) }{{I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi b}}{L}} \right)}}\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {\int\limits_0^L {\sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)\sin \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}z} \right)dzd\varphi } }[/tex]

? (Don't just say "using orthogonality", show your work)

gabbagabbahey said:
You are still skipping important steps, and making errors in the process. How do you go from

[tex]\Phi _A \left( {b,\varphi ,z} \right) = \sum\limits_{\nu = 0}^\infty {\sum\limits_{m = 0}^\infty {\left[ {A_{\nu m}\sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)} \right]\left[ {\sin \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}z} \right)} \right]\left[ {I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}b } \right)} \right]} }[/tex]

to

[tex]\\A_{\nu m} = \frac{\Phi _A \left( {b,\varphi ,z} \right) }{{I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi b}}{L}} \right)}}\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {\int\limits_0^L {\sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)\sin \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}z} \right)dzd\varphi } }[/tex]

? (Don't just say "using orthogonality", show your work)

Starting with

multiply both sides by [tex]\sin \left( {\nu '\varphi } \right)\sin \left( {\frac{{m'\pi }}{L}z} \right)}
[/tex]

to get
[tex]\Phi _A \left( {b,\varphi ,z} \right)\sin \left( {\nu '\varphi } \right)\sin \left( {\frac{{m'\pi }}{L}z} \right) = \sum\limits_{\nu = 0}^\infty {\sum\limits_{m = 0}^\infty {\left[ {A_{\nu m} \sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)} \right]\left[ {\sin \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}z} \right)} \right]\left[ {I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi b}}{L}} \right)} \right]} } \sin \left( {\nu '\varphi } \right)\sin \left( {\frac{{m'\pi }}{L}z} \right)$[/tex]

Then integrate both sides.
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {d\varphi \left\{ {\int\limits_0^L {dz} \left[ {\Phi _A \left( {b,\varphi ,z} \right)\sin \left( {\nu '\varphi } \right)\sin \left( {\frac{{m'\pi }}{L}z} \right)} \right]} \right\}} = \\
\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {d\varphi \left\{ {\int\limits_0^L {dz} \left[ {\sum\limits_{\nu = 0}^\infty {\sum\limits_{m = 0}^\infty {\left[ {A_{\nu m} \sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)} \right]\left[ {\sin \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}z} \right)} \right]\left[ {I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi b}}{L}} \right)} \right]} } \sin \left( {\nu '\varphi } \right)\sin \left( {\frac{{m'\pi }}{L}z} \right)} \right]} \right\}} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

On the right hand side, the summations come out of the integral:
[tex]
\sum\limits_{\nu = 0}^\infty {\sum\limits_{m = 0}^\infty {\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {d\varphi \left\{ {\int\limits_0^L {dz} \left[ {A_{\nu m} \sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)} \right]\left[ {\sin \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}z} \right)} \right]\left[ {I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi b}}{L}} \right)} \right]\sin \left( {\nu '\varphi } \right)\sin \left( {\frac{{m'\pi }}{L}z} \right)} \right\}} } }
[/tex]
Orthogonality says that the integration of the products will be [tex]\delta_{\nu\nu'}[/tex] and [tex]\delta_{mm'}[/tex]and the summations are dropped. This results in
[tex]
\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {d\varphi \left\{ {\int\limits_0^L {dz} \left[ {\Phi _A \left( {b,\varphi ,z} \right)\sin \left( {\nu '\varphi } \right)\sin \left( {\frac{{m'\pi }}{L}z} \right)} \right]} \right\}} = A_{\nu m} I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi b}}{L}} \right)
[/tex]

The primes clearly aer no longer necessary and can be dropped. The modified Bessel function term is a constant, so
[tex]A_{\nu m} = \frac{1}{{I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi b}}{L}} \right)}}\int\limits_0^{2\pi } {\int\limits_0^L {\Phi _A \left( {b,\varphi ,z} \right)\sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)\sin \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}z} \right)dzd\varphi } }
[/tex]
Also note that I put [tex]\Phi_{A}[/tex] back in the integral since I'm no longer assuming it's constant. Does that help? Thanks for hanging in there with me on this.

The only remaining errors you have are that

[tex]\int_0^L \sin\left(\frac{m\pi z}{L}\right)\sin\left(\frac{m'\pi z}{L}\right)dz\neq \delta_{mm'}[/tex]

and

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \sin(\nu \phi)\sin(\nu' \phi)d\phi\neq \delta_{\nu\nu'}[/tex]

Well duh! It always gets back to the basics. Thanks for you help on this!

Also, do you really need to break up [itex]V(\phi,z)[/itex] into two unknown functions [itex]\Phi_A(b,\phi,z)[/itex] and [itex]\Phi_B(b,\phi,z)[/itex]? After all, you know

[tex]V \left( {\varphi ,z} \right) = \sum\limits_{\nu = 0}^\infty {\sum\limits_{m = 0}^\infty {\left[ {A_{\nu m}\sin \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)} \right]\left[ {\sin \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}z} \right)} \right]\left[ {I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}b } \right)} \right]} }+\sum\limits_{\nu = 0}^\infty {\sum\limits_{m = 0}^\infty {\left[ {B_{\nu m}\cos \left( {\nu \varphi } \right)} \right]\left[ {\sin \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}z} \right)} \right]\left[ {I_\nu \left( {\frac{{m\pi }}{L}b } \right)} \right]} }[/tex]

What happens when you multiply the second term by [itex]\sin(\nu\varphi)d\varphi[/itex] and integrate from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]2\pi[/itex]?

1. Why are my coefficients vanishing in Jackson 3.9?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that your data may not have enough variation for the coefficients to be accurately estimated. Another possibility is that there may be multicollinearity among your independent variables, causing the coefficients to become unstable. It is also possible that there is an error in your code or data.

2. How can I fix the issue of vanishing coefficients in Jackson 3.9?

To address the issue of vanishing coefficients, you can try increasing the amount of data or reducing the number of independent variables. You can also check for multicollinearity and address it through techniques such as feature selection or regularization. Additionally, make sure to carefully review your code and data for any errors.

3. Can vanishing coefficients affect the accuracy of my model in Jackson 3.9?

Yes, vanishing coefficients can significantly impact the accuracy of your model. If the coefficients are vanishing due to a lack of variation in the data, your model may not be able to capture the true relationship between the variables. This can result in a less accurate model with higher prediction errors.

4. Are there any specific types of data or models that are more prone to vanishing coefficients in Jackson 3.9?

Vanishing coefficients can occur in any type of data or model, but they are more commonly seen in datasets with high collinearity or low variation. Linear regression models are particularly susceptible to vanishing coefficients, but other models such as logistic regression, neural networks, and decision trees can also experience this issue.

5. Is there a way to prevent vanishing coefficients in Jackson 3.9?

While it is not always possible to completely prevent vanishing coefficients, there are steps you can take to reduce the likelihood of this issue. These include carefully selecting your independent variables, checking for multicollinearity, and increasing the amount of data. Regularization techniques can also help to mitigate the effects of vanishing coefficients in some cases.