1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jacobi method convergence for hpd matrices

1. Jun 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A be a squared, hermitian positive definite matrix. Let D denote the diagonal matrix composed of the diagonal elements of A, i.e. D = diag((A)11,(A)22,...(A)nn).

Prove that if the Jacobi iterative method converges for A, then 2D - A must also be hermitian positive definite.

2. Relevant equations

The Jacobi iterative method has the iteration matrix J = inv(D) * (E + E*), where A = D - E - E* is the standard decomposition of the matrix to a diagonal matrix, upper triangular matrix and lower triangular matrix.

Also, an iterative method converges if and only if the iteration matrix has a spectral radius lower than 1, i.e. r(J) < 1.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried several approaches. I was able to prove the inverse claim, i.e. that if 2D - A is hpd, then the Jacobi method must converge. Also, I observed that the iteration matrix for the Jacobi method of 2D - A is just -J, so the method converges for both A and 2D - A.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?