Jacobian and Multiple Integral

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an integral and using the change of variables method to evaluate it. The formula for the Jacobian is mentioned and there is a question about how to calculate the elements of the Jacobian for an implicit variable. The issue of setting up the bounds for the new integral is also brought up. The solution is provided at the end, using the Jacobian in a different way to cancel out terms in the integral.
quantumkiko
I was self-studying the Jacobian and the change in variables when I came upon the following problem:

In the integral

[tex] I = \int_0^\infty \int_0^\infty \frac{x^2 + y^2}{1 + (x^2 - y^2)^2} e^{-2xy} \, dx dy , [/tex]

make the change of variables

[tex] u = x^2 - y^2 , [/tex]
[tex] v = 2xy , [/tex]

and evaluate I.

I know that I have to use the formula

[tex] I = \int_0^\infty \int_0^\infty |J| f(u, v) \, du dv [/tex]

where |J| is the determinant of the Jacobian. But I don't know how to calculate the elements of the Jacobian. For example, how do I calculate [tex] {\partial x}/{\partial u} [/tex] if x is an implicit variable in the equation for u? Do I use implicit differentiation (if there is one) or do I take the positive square root of x^2 then take its partial derivative?

Finally, how do I set up the bounds for the new integral? My way of thinking is if x = 0, then u = -y^2 and if x = infinity then u = infinity. I really feel there is something wrong with this. Also, some people would do it geometrically and graph to see the bounds. Is there any way to get the new bounds algebraically? Thank you very much! ^^

(By the way, the answer at the back is [tex] \pi / 4 [/tex]). =P

Physics news on Phys.org
Do the Jacobian the other way:
[tex]\frac{\partial u,v}{\partial x,y}= \left|\begin{array}{cc}2x & -2y \\ 2y & 2x\end{array}\right|[/tex]
[tex]= 4x^2+ 4y^2[/tex]
so that
[tex]|J|= \frac{\partial x,y}{\partial u,v}= \frac{1}{4}\frac{1}{x^2+ y^2}[/tex]

Fortunately, you have [itex]x^2+ y^2[/itex] in your integral to cancel that!

1. What is the Jacobian in relation to multiple integrals?

The Jacobian is a mathematical concept used to calculate the change in variables in a multiple integral. It represents the scaling factor between the original coordinate system and the new coordinate system. In other words, it measures how much the volume changes when the variables are transformed.

2. How is the Jacobian used in change of variables for multiple integrals?

In multiple integrals, the Jacobian is used to transform the variables from one coordinate system to another. This allows for easier calculation of the integral in the new coordinate system. The Jacobian is multiplied to the original integrand to adjust for the scaling factor, resulting in an equivalent integral in the new coordinate system.

3. What is the relationship between the Jacobian and the determinant?

The Jacobian is closely related to the determinant of the transformation matrix used to change variables in a multiple integral. In fact, the Jacobian is equal to the absolute value of the determinant of the transformation matrix. This means that the Jacobian can also be used to determine the orientation of the coordinate system.

4. Can the Jacobian be negative?

Yes, the Jacobian can be negative. This occurs when the transformation results in a change of orientation in the coordinate system. This can happen when the order of the variables is reversed or when the transformation includes a reflection. In these cases, the Jacobian will be negative, indicating a change in orientation.

5. How is the Jacobian used in practical applications?

The Jacobian is an important tool in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and computer graphics. It is used to solve problems involving multiple integrals, such as finding the volume of a curved object or calculating the probability of an event. It is also used in change of variables techniques to simplify complex integrals and make them easier to solve.