Jerry-rigging a time lapse sequence

In summary, without buying a new camera, someone can suggest a way to set up a time lapse of an artist working on a piece of art, like a sculpture, by using a point and shoot camera or a DSLR with a remote shutter release.Alternatively, someone could borrow or steal a camera that has the feature, or use a smartphone's camera.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Without buying a new camera, can anyone suggest a way to set up a time lapse of an artist working on a piece of art, like a sculpture? You know, put the camera on a stand pointing at the artwork, and have it take one pic, say, each second?

Either a point & shoot camera or a DSLR.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Dave, if the camera doesn't have that feature, I don't see how you can get around the lack other than to stand there and wear your finger out. I'll be interested to see if anyone can come up with anything.

OR ... borrow a camera that does have the feature. OR ... steal such a camera (you did just say "without BUYING a new camera" :smile:)

The magic-word is "intervalometer" ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intervalometer
If the camera has a remote-shutter-release, there may be an aftermarket intervalometer you can use.

Likes Routaran and DaveC426913
If you have a laptop with a webcam where the quality is good enough, you might find a utility on the laptop to take time lapse pictures. I found one on mine by going to the start menu, typing webcam, and selecting Cyberlink Youcam (Webcam). It had an option for controlling time lapse.

Last edited:
Thanks robphy! That's the first time I've seen anything compatible with the D3300.

That camera has an infrared receiver. Do you have a smartphone with infrared capability? I'm sure that would do the trick. You may have to write the app yourself though.

Or just use the smartphone's camera.

BoB

Related to Jerry-rigging a time lapse sequence

1. What is "jerry-rigging" a time lapse sequence?

"Jerry-rigging" is a term used to describe a makeshift or improvised solution to a problem. In the context of time lapse photography, it refers to the process of setting up a camera and taking continuous photos at a specific interval to create a time lapse video.

2. What equipment do I need to jerry-rig a time lapse sequence?

You will need a camera with manual settings, a tripod or stable surface to mount the camera, and an intervalometer to control the timing of the photos. Some cameras may have a built-in intervalometer, but if not, you can purchase one separately.

3. How do I set the interval for my time lapse sequence?

The ideal interval depends on the subject and speed of motion you want to capture. Generally, an interval of 1-5 seconds works well for slow-moving subjects, while an interval of 1-3 seconds is better for fast-moving subjects. Experiment with different intervals to find the best one for your specific project.

4. Can I jerry-rig a time lapse sequence with my smartphone?

Yes, it is possible to use a smartphone for time lapse photography. You will need to download a time lapse app that allows you to manually set the interval and adjust other settings. Keep in mind that the quality of the time lapse may not be as high as with a dedicated camera.

5. How do I edit and compile the photos into a time lapse video?

Once you have taken all the photos, you can use a video editing software or app to compile them into a time lapse video. You can adjust the speed of the video and add music or other effects to enhance the final product. There are also online tools available that can help you create a time lapse video without the need for specialized software.