Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jerry-rigging a time lapse sequence

1. Jun 17, 2015 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Without buying a new camera, can anyone suggest a way to set up a time lapse of an artist working on a piece of art, like a sculpture? You know, put the camera on a stand pointing at the artwork, and have it take one pic, say, each second?

Either a point & shoot camera or a DSLR.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Dave, if the camera doesn't have that feature, I don't see how you can get around the lack other than to stand there and wear your finger out. I'll be interested to see if anyone can come up with anything.

OR ... borrow a camera that does have the feature. OR ... steal such a camera (you did just say "without BUYING a new camera" :smile:)

4. Jun 19, 2015 #3
    The magic-word is "intervalometer" ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intervalometer
    If the camera has a remote-shutter-release, there may be an aftermarket intervalometer you can use.

5. Jun 21, 2015 #4

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you have a laptop with a webcam where the quality is good enough, you might find a utility on the laptop to take time lapse pictures. I found one on mine by going to the start menu, typing webcam, and selecting Cyberlink Youcam (Webcam). It had an option for controlling time lapse.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  6. Jun 21, 2015 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

7. Jun 22, 2015 #6
  8. Jun 22, 2015 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

9. Jun 22, 2015 #8

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

10. Jun 22, 2015 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Thanks robphy! That's the first time I've seen anything compatible with the D3300.

11. Jun 23, 2015 #10

rbelli1

Gold Member

That camera has an infrared receiver. Do you have a smartphone with infrared capability? I'm sure that would do the trick. You may have to write the app yourself though.

Or just use the smartphone's camera.

BoB

12. Jun 26, 2015 #11

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook