Job Advice: Should I Take the Antenna Design Job?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RF_Pif
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Job
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
RF_Pif
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hey guys i am new in this forum ! I wish you are fine. Well i am finishing my MSc in Electronics and searching for a job.

Basically, i like more the electronics and especially, analog, microwave/RF => designing individula stages or systems TX-RX etc

However, i have a proposal from a company that is related with antennas. I have done in the past a lot of things in antenna field

but it is not my favorite objective. I gave 2 interviews about RF Engineer and i failed unfortunately. A lot of people advise me to

start the job with antenna design to obtain some experience and then i can move to electronics more easily because i will meet

a lot of people etc.. the contract is 2 years. I don't know what to do.. what do you believe ?

Thanks a lot and have a nice night
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you have a choice between a job and a dream.

In making a decision like this, what I think it ultimately comes down to is how realistic you think your chances are of landing a job in the short term that's more consistent with what you see yourself doing in the long term, and how long you can draw out that search.

In my experience, no job will be perfect and two years is short compared to the length of your career. So if this antenna design job is a potential avenue to get you where you want to go, it might be a good idea to take it on. I don't know the electrical engineering market though.
 
I think you should go with the job. It's only 2 years and you'll gain experience. Who knows? you may find the job very interesting and decide to stay in that field.
 
One thing about designing antennas: You end up in the field a lot. You meet with the customers quite a bit and you learn lots of interesting things that aren't exactly antenna related. For example, you learn how to protect against lightning, antenna site management, and a whole host of interesting opportunities.

Of course you may not like these things, but you can always play with electronics as a ham radio enthusiast...
 
Thanks a lot for the replies guys. Well i think i will start the job to gain experience.. in the same time i will involved in RF through ham activities :) thnanks a lot