1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Jobs for someone with a Bachelors in Applied Physics

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    Hello all!

I will be getting my bachelors in applied physics by this time next year and I was wondering what types of jobs are open to someone with such a degree? I am studying physics, not for financial ease, but simply because I truly love physics. So I am ignorant in the job a Physics major can obtain.

Electromagnetic theory has quickly become my absolute favorite subject of physics and I hope to eventually get a job dealing with this field such as telecommunications. I do not think I have such options at this point due to my lack of higher degrees.

If anyone can offer any advice I would greatly appreciate it. :D

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2012 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Question such as this can't be answered because you neglected to indicate WHERE you are looking for such jobs. You could be the top of your class in, say, Papua New Guinea, but because of the nature of the economy there, you certainly will have a horribly difficult time to find a job in applied physics.

Zz.

4. Apr 22, 2012 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

5. Apr 22, 2012 #4
    Sorry, I am obviously showing my ignorance in this subject. I am an american student seeking a job in america.

And thank you Astronuc for the links!

6. Apr 23, 2012 #5
    Granted I got very lucky but my first job was playing with software for a computational physics company, the field that we dealt with most was E&M. It seems that E&M is one of the more marketable fields for physics. RF, optics, radar, etc. are always crossing EE and physics. I suggest to pick up some programming classes so you can get a hard skill to market yourself stronger because you'll be competing with EE's that have spent a lot more time doing E&M modeling and designing. While you were/are struggling through your upper level physics classes the EE's are most likely learning specific RF software which makes it harder on you.

Just a side note, my plan is to finish my PhD (leaning to E&M related now, photonics, accelerators, plasmas, etc.) and go back to the company I worked for and get a higher level position doing more of the actual physics work. I still have many contacts there and have full confidence that once I finish my PhD I'll be able to get back in there, this is an ideal situation. If you can get your foot in the door somewhere after your bachelor's and stay on good terms you'll be far ahead of the typical grad students in terms of contacts/job leads.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook