1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jobs in physics

1. Sep 25, 2009 #1
    hi im new to this forum ,
    i m really frustated regarding my career
    i have done masters in physics in india then started doing phd for 6 mnths (which i was not interested in) got married , came to usa, planned family . now im 29
    and want to start a career after 4 years of gap
    i got my evaluation of credentials done by josef silney
    and according to that i hold only bachelor degree ...?
    well then i got my certification for teaching in physics ,but it doesn't pay good
    i am willing to spend time on further education like maybe ms in comp if its possible
    or a course in radiation therapy or statistician
    please guide me ......
    thanks

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2009 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi meenu_shiny, welcome to PF!

The job market is a bit weak now, as I'm sure you realize. So perhaps this would be a good time to get more schooling.

Going into radiation therapy would almost certainly require more training. And if you're interested in statistics, perhaps you should look at working as an actuary.

Do you have any interest in programming?

4. Sep 27, 2009 #3

chiro

Science Advisor

If you go the actuary route I would suggest you get a few exams under your belt. You can purchase study materials from actuarial societies and sit the exams without having to go to uni per se (but it will cost you for study materials and also to sit the exam).

If you're disciplined to do it this way then it might be a good option for you.

5. Sep 30, 2009 #4
    thanks for the guidance
    yes infact i have interest in programming
    i am willing to do ms comp, i have already started preparing for toefl and gre
    but one thing im not sure about is that is it feasible to enter in ms comp with my physics background
    i have met people saying that it doesn't matter , but i just want to be sure before start preparing

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook