A 29-Year-Old Seeking Career Guidance After a 4-Year Gap

In summary, the job market is weak right now and you may want to get more schooling. Going into radiation therapy would require more training, and if you're interested in statistics, you should look into working as an actuary. You also have an interest in programming and might be able to pursue a degree in that field if you're disciplined enough to do so. Thanks for the advice!
meenu_shiny
hi I am new to this forum ,
i m really frustated regarding my career
i have done masters in physics in India then started doing phd for 6 mnths (which i was not interested in) got married , came to usa, planned family . now I am 29
and want to start a career after 4 years of gap
i got my evaluation of credentials done by josef silney
and according to that i hold only bachelor degree ...?
well then i got my certification for teaching in physics ,but it doesn't pay good
i am willing to spend time on further education like maybe ms in comp if its possible
or a course in radiation therapy or statistician
please guide me ...
thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi meenu_shiny, welcome to PF!

The job market is a bit weak now, as I'm sure you realize. So perhaps this would be a good time to get more schooling.

Going into radiation therapy would almost certainly require more training. And if you're interested in statistics, perhaps you should look at working as an actuary.

Do you have any interest in programming?

lisab said:
Hi meenu_shiny, welcome to PF!

The job market is a bit weak now, as I'm sure you realize. So perhaps this would be a good time to get more schooling.

Going into radiation therapy would almost certainly require more training. And if you're interested in statistics, perhaps you should look at working as an actuary.

Do you have any interest in programming?

If you go the actuary route I would suggest you get a few exams under your belt. You can purchase study materials from actuarial societies and sit the exams without having to go to uni per se (but it will cost you for study materials and also to sit the exam).

If you're disciplined to do it this way then it might be a good option for you.

thanks for the guidance
yes infact i have interest in programming
i am willing to do ms comp, i have already started preparing for toefl and gre
but one thing I am not sure about is that is it feasible to enter in ms comp with my physics background
i have met people saying that it doesn't matter , but i just want to be sure before start preparing

What are the potential reasons for taking a 4-year gap in a career?

Potential reasons for taking a 4-year gap in a career include personal health or family issues, pursuing further education, traveling, or experiencing a layoff or job loss.

How can a 29-year-old best explain the gap in their resume?

A 29-year-old can explain the gap in their resume by being honest and transparent about the reason for the gap. They can also highlight any skills or experiences gained during the gap that may be relevant to the job they are applying for.

What steps can a 29-year-old take to reenter the workforce after a 4-year gap?

A 29-year-old can take several steps to reenter the workforce after a 4-year gap. This includes updating their resume, networking with professionals in their desired field, attending job fairs, and considering internships or volunteer work to gain new skills and experience.

What resources are available for a 29-year-old seeking career guidance?

There are many resources available for a 29-year-old seeking career guidance, such as career counseling services, career development workshops, online job search platforms, and professional networking groups. They can also reach out to former colleagues, mentors, or professors for advice and guidance.

How can a 29-year-old overcome the fear of being judged for their career gap?

A 29-year-old can overcome the fear of being judged for their career gap by reframing it as a valuable learning experience. They can also focus on their skills and accomplishments, rather than the gap itself, and be confident in their abilities to succeed in their chosen career path.