1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Joint Bivariate Exponential Distribution

1. Apr 10, 2008 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider two components and three types of shocks. A type 1 shock causes component 1 to fail, a type 2 shock causes component 2 to fail, and a type 3 shock causes both components 1 and 2 to fail. The times until shocks 1, 2, and 3 occur are independent exponential random variables with respective rates [itex]\lambda_1, \lambda_2, \lambda_3[/itex]. Let [itex]X_i[/itex] denote the time at which component i fails, i = 1, 2. The random variables [itex]X_1, X_2[/itex] are said to have a joint bivariate exponential distribution. Find [itex]P\{X_1 > s, X_2 > t\}[/itex].

The attempt at a solution
    This problem would by so much easier if type 3 shocks didn't exists as it would make [itex]X_1, X_2[/itex] independent. Anywho...

Let [itex]Y_1, Y_2, Y_3[/itex] be the times shocks of type 1, 2, 3 occurred. I know I'm going to have to deal with the joint distribution of these three random variables. However, I can't think of anything. I need a little hint.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2008 #2
    One idea is suggested in Yan, Carpenter and Diawara (2006) and in Diawara and Carpenter (2008) in their papers from AJMMS. Please check it out, and let me know if you have questions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?