Discovering Journal Impact Factor: Tips for Finding Reliable Information

In summary, the conversation is about finding a tool or website to view the impact factor of different journals. The conversation mentions using the ISI Journal Citation Report website, but not being able to find anything. It is suggested to try the citation finder or the website www.jcrweb.com, but it requires a login. The conversation then moves to discussing the impact factor of different journals, such as the American Journal of Human Genetics and Nature, and wanting to see a graph of the distribution. Google is suggested as a possible solution. The conversation ends with mention of a most cited person page and looking up cited publications in general.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Where to find those? I thought it was on the ISI Journal Citation Report website, but I have been going around in circles without finding anything..

How about citation finder?

Biology news on Phys.org
Actually, I think it is www.jcrweb.com[/URL] and only institutions are allowed to view the page, me: "Your IP address is invalid for this session. You will need to establish a new session if you wish to continue." :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I would ahve been pretty confident that ISI had it. I know it was through ISI that you find the most cited person etc.

Give me a try...

Yes, I once used ISI to look up all the articles that cited a certain publications. It is pretty cool for looking up your own publication and see the impact its having..

I couldn't find the tool, I guess a login is required.

But Google comes to the rescue! :wink:

The journal I was looking for was the American Journal of Human Genetics, which has an impact factor of about 10.6, Nature would be 30.4 (!), Nature Genetics 26.7, Human Molecular Genetics 9.0 etc

I would actually like to see a graph, with all the journals and see the distribution of the impact factor, what would the curve look like?

I found the most cited person page again. I couldn't find the journal impact thing though. I considered doing Google, but I assumed you would have already done that.

Most cited person, but how about just look up citated publications in general?

What is "Journal Impact Factor"?

Journal Impact Factor (JIF) is a metric used to measure the importance and influence of a scientific journal within its field. It is calculated by dividing the number of citations an article receives in a particular year by the total number of articles published in that journal in the previous two years.

How is the "Journal Impact Factor" calculated?

JIF is calculated by dividing the number of citations received by all articles published in a journal during a specific year by the total number of articles published in that journal in the two previous years. This calculation is based on data from the Web of Science database.

What is a good "Journal Impact Factor"?

The "good" impact factor varies depending on the field of study, as citation rates can differ greatly between disciplines. In general, a JIF of 1 or above is considered average, while a JIF of 3 or above is considered high. However, it is important to note that the JIF should not be the sole determining factor in assessing the quality of a journal.

Does a high "Journal Impact Factor" guarantee high-quality research?

No, a high JIF does not guarantee high-quality research. The JIF only measures the frequency of citations, not the quality or validity of the research. Additionally, different fields may have different citation patterns, so comparing JIFs between different disciplines may not be accurate.

What are some potential limitations of "Journal Impact Factor"?

There are several limitations to consider when using JIF as a metric. Firstly, it only measures citations from a specific database, so it may not accurately reflect the impact of a journal in other databases. Additionally, self-citations and citations from a small number of highly influential articles can greatly skew the JIF. Furthermore, the JIF does not take into account the quality or impact of individual articles within a journal.