Junior at molecular biology and genetics

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of preparing for the GRE exams, specifically the general and subject tests. The speaker recommends taking practice tests to assess one's strengths and weaknesses and suggests spending about three weeks to learn vocabulary and math tricks for the general test. For the subject test, the speaker suggests two months of preparation, but notes that it ultimately depends on the individual's motivation and previous academic performance. Additionally, the speaker mentions the option of purchasing a prep book and taking practice exams. Finally, the topic of whether an excellent GRE score can compensate for a lower GPA is briefly touched upon.
gamze
I am a junior at molecular biology and genetics and I plan to apply for grad school next year. So I need to take GRE general and subject tests, plus TOEFL. My main concern is about GRE: when should I start preparing for it? I would really appreciate advices also on how to study. Thanks!

Gamze

Physics news on Phys.org
You could take a practice test on the general and subject to see where you stand and what areas you need to work on. I would say, in general, for the general test to spend about three weeks to learn some vocabulary and math tricks. For the subject test, I would say that two months is plenty if you've done well in your classes so far. But most people spend much less. Depends how well you want to do, and how motivated you are to invest the time.

I have a question witin the lines of GRE, so I thought I would just post a quick one here. Can an excellent GRE score, including the main and subject, save you from your GPA?

I had to take the general GRE after close to 10 years out of college. It wasn't a terribly difficult test. That being said, if you have to take the TOEFL, you will need to study up on the grammar section. I would buy one of the many prep books on the GRE and take one of the practice exams. It will show you exactly how much brushing up you need to do.

I didn't have to take a subject test, so I can't help you out there.

Hi,

I'm preparing for General GRE. I would like to share this info with those who are also doing the same - there are tips and free learning resources at www.grevocabulary.org

Related to Junior at molecular biology and genetics

1. What is molecular biology?

Molecular biology is a branch of biology that focuses on the study of biological molecules, such as DNA, RNA, and proteins, and their interactions within cells. It also involves the study of the processes and mechanisms that control these molecules, and how they contribute to the functioning of living organisms.

2. What is genetics?

Genetics is the study of genes, heredity, and variation in living organisms. It involves the study of how traits are passed down from parents to offspring, and how genes contribute to the development and functioning of organisms. It also encompasses the study of genetic disorders and how they can be inherited or influenced by environmental factors.

3. What is the role of a Junior at molecular biology and genetics?

A Junior at molecular biology and genetics is typically a student or researcher who is in the early stages of their career in this field. They may assist more experienced scientists in conducting experiments, analyzing data, and interpreting results. They may also be involved in literature reviews, presentations, and other tasks related to ongoing research projects.

4. What skills are important for a Junior at molecular biology and genetics?

Some important skills for a Junior at molecular biology and genetics include strong analytical and critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and good communication skills. They should also have a solid understanding of biology, chemistry, and genetics, as well as proficiency in laboratory techniques and data analysis software.

5. What are some potential career paths for a Junior at molecular biology and genetics?

A Junior at molecular biology and genetics can pursue various career paths, including becoming a research scientist, laboratory technician, genetic counselor, or science writer. They can also continue their education and pursue advanced degrees in fields like molecular biology, genetics, medicine, or biotechnology.