Juno -- Coolest space ship in the solar system?

In summary, Juno is on her downward trajectory towards Jupiter, and is expected to collect a wealth of data about the planet's composition and storm activity. It is unknown if the Great Red Spot was caused by Planet 9, but evidence suggests that the storms are caused by gas transfer from convection.
Ralph Rotten
TL;DR Summary
Just a thread to blab about Juno probe because I am a total Juno nerd (and was previously a Cassini geek.) Juno is so cool.
So Juno is on her downhill run towards Jupiter. Only doing about 8k right now, but by the time she rounds Jupiter she'll be doing 100k or more.
We are going to get so much science from Juno.
Personally I am eagerly awaiting the results of what Jupiter looks like under all those clouds.

D6-IuoiV4AA_Tb8?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Drakkith
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Y'see, I am interested in what Juno finds because for many years I have had a theory about the Big Red Storm (and the other storms as well).

My theory is this: Jupiter is composed of stratified layers of chemicals, heaviest on the bottom.
The hydrogen at the core has been compressed to the point that it is metallic hydrogen.
Essentially, the core of Jupiter is so damned dense that rock floats.
The storms are impacts, and the red spot used to be Planet 9. The storm is Jupiter's winds slowly eroding the thing that smacked into it.

This is just my theory. My only real evidence would be pointing out that there is a line of storms down where Shoemaker-Levy hit. Remember how it broke into pieces and hit it like a machine gun?
Lookit the line of storms under the big storm.
JupiterIR_HubbleSchmidt_960.jpg

Ralph Rotten said:
Y'see, I am interested in what Juno finds because for many years I have had a theory about the Big Red Storm (and the other storms as well).

My theory is this: Jupiter is composed of stratified layers of chemicals, heaviest on the bottom.
The hydrogen at the core has been compressed to the point that it is metallic hydrogen.
Essentially, the core of Jupiter is so damned dense that rock floats.
The storms are impacts, and the red spot used to be Planet 9. The storm is Jupiter's winds slowly eroding the thing that smacked into it.

This is just my theory. My only real evidence would be pointing out that there is a line of storms down where Shoemaker-Levy hit. Remember how it broke into pieces and hit it like a machine gun?
Lookit the line of storms under the big storm.
View attachment 243931
You are treading on very dangerous ground
Please read the rules about personal theories

and as I stated in your other thread, please provide links to where these images came from

Ralph Rotten said:

Seems more likely that gas transfer from convection is the power behind Jupiter's storms, though to be fair, it is still an open question. But it is hard to figure a mechanism of erosion that triggers such long-lasting disruption from an object slamming in at speed, esp. when you are suggesting that the Great Red Spot was caused by 'Planet 9'. The passing of a planet through the outer solar system should be evident, even if it occurred thousands of years ago.

For Shoemaker-Levy sized objects, the impact analysis suggests they will be destroyed in an 'airburst' at high altitudes (the largest Shoemaker-Levy fragments were destroyed around 250 kPa) so they are not in any state to be eroded by floating on the core because if they even reach the core, they're going to be pretty small.

Also, we see similar storm patterns on other gas giants, so I'd expect them to have a common cause, so impact triggers could likely be tracked back to objects in orbit to cross check your proposition.

Perhaps an impact can cause an eddy just through heat transfer (Shoemaker-Levy's fragment A reached a peak temperature of about 24,000 K when it hit) but erosion seems a step too far when you are talking about a gas giant with a diameter of 86,000 kms.

What makes Juno the coolest space ship in the solar system?

There are several factors that make Juno stand out as the coolest space ship in the solar system. Firstly, it is the first solar-powered spacecraft to explore Jupiter, making it a pioneer in its field. Additionally, Juno is equipped with a suite of advanced instruments that allow it to collect unprecedented data and images of the gas giant. Lastly, Juno has a unique polar orbit that allows it to get closer to Jupiter than any other spacecraft before it.

How long has Juno been exploring Jupiter?

Juno was launched in 2011 and arrived at Jupiter in 2016, making it the first spacecraft to orbit the gas giant since the Galileo mission ended in 2003. As of 2021, Juno has been exploring Jupiter for over 5 years and has completed 33 orbits around the planet.

What kind of data is Juno collecting from Jupiter?

Juno's primary goal is to study Jupiter's atmosphere and magnetic field in order to gain a better understanding of the planet's origins and evolution. It is also collecting data on Jupiter's composition, structure, and gravitational field. Additionally, Juno is capturing stunning images of Jupiter's clouds and storms, providing us with a closer look at this mysterious planet.

How far away is Juno from Earth?

Juno's distance from Earth varies depending on its location in its orbit around Jupiter. At its closest approach, Juno is about 500 million miles away from Earth, and at its farthest point, it can be over 600 million miles away. However, Juno's distance from Earth does not affect its ability to transmit data back to us, as it is equipped with a powerful antenna that can send data over long distances.

What is the future of Juno's mission?

Juno's mission has been extended multiple times, and it is currently expected to continue exploring Jupiter until at least 2025. During this time, Juno will continue to collect data and images of Jupiter, providing us with valuable insights into this giant planet. After its mission is complete, Juno will be intentionally crashed into Jupiter's atmosphere to avoid any potential contamination of the planet's moons.