What Standards Does MIT REU Look for in Students?

• Thread starter a9211l
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reu
In summary, you have several options for continuing your research this summer if you don't get accepted to a REU.
a9211l
Idk if this is the right place to post this but, I'll ask anyway.

So, I actually applied to two REU's for this summer, one at UNC and one at MIT, and the decisions should be coming back sometime soon. So, basically, I was told the MIT REU only accepts around 10 students for the summer program, and that they got a ton of apps this year.

Just out of curiosity, in general, what types of students are accepted to a program like MIT's? I mean, I'm a pretty good student, but not spectacular (a year of research under my belt, 3.9 gpa, chemistry major, etc) and can definitely imagine that there are at least 10 applicants with absolutely amazing resumes.

Physics news on Phys.org
You credentials sound good, but remember that the REU programs do favor minorities and women. In general, most REU programs receive well over 100 applications (some over 300!) for 8-12 spots. Also, although acceptances are sent out in early March, I didn't receive my rejection notice until about the end of April when I applied a few years back.

I don't mean to sound too pessimistic, but it would be to your advantage to start looking for back up plans now (just in case). If you get the REU, abandon your backup plan. If you don't get in, you can reapply next year.

Best of luck to you!

Edit: The information above came from the REU director at my school.

Last edited:
ralphhumacho said:
You credentials sound good, but remember that the REU programs do favor minorities and women. In general, most REU programs receive well over 100 applications (some over 300!) for 8-12 spots. Also, although acceptances are sent out in early March, I didn't receive my rejection notice until about the end of April when I applied a few years back.

I don't mean to sound too pessimistic, but it would be to your advantage to start looking for back up plans now (just in case). If you get the REU, abandon your backup plan. If you don't get in, you can reapply next year.

Best of luck to you!

Edit: The information above came from the REU director at my school.
Yeah, I'm neither a minority (or at least the ones they're looking for) or a woman. Fack...

But I definitely have other options, right now, I'm working in a lab that I've been in since last summer. My project should be wrapped up by the end of the semester. Next fall, I'm starting at a new lab (my current one isn't at my home institution, thus I can't get credit for the research I'm doing now) and both my current and future PI are willing to let me work in their labs this summer if my REU's don't go through.

Last edited:

1. What are the academic requirements for the MIT REU program?

The MIT REU program looks for students who have completed at least two years of college coursework, with a minimum GPA of 3.0. They should also have a strong background in their chosen field of study, as well as relevant research experience.

2. Are there any specific majors or fields of study that the MIT REU program prefers?

The MIT REU program is open to students from all majors and fields of study, as long as they have a strong interest and background in research. However, preference may be given to students whose research aligns with the current projects and programs at MIT.

3. Are there any specific personal qualities or characteristics that the MIT REU program looks for in applicants?

In addition to academic qualifications, the MIT REU program values qualities such as curiosity, creativity, and a strong work ethic. They also look for applicants who are passionate about their chosen field of study and have a desire to contribute to scientific research.

4. Is there a specific application process for the MIT REU program?

Yes, students must submit an online application, which typically includes a personal statement, letters of recommendation, and transcripts. Some programs may also require a research proposal or resume. Applicants should carefully review the specific requirements for the program they are interested in.

5. How competitive is the MIT REU program?

The MIT REU program is highly competitive, with a limited number of spots available each year. However, the program also values diversity and encourages students from underrepresented groups to apply. Ultimately, the strength of an applicant's qualifications and application will determine their chances of being accepted.