1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just an REU question

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    Idk if this is the right place to post this but, I'll ask anyway.

So, I actually applied to two REU's for this summer, one at UNC and one at MIT, and the decisions should be coming back sometime soon. So, basically, I was told the MIT REU only accepts around 10 students for the summer program, and that they got a ton of apps this year.

Just out of curiosity, in general, what types of students are accepted to a program like MIT's? I mean, I'm a pretty good student, but not spectacular (a year of research under my belt, 3.9 gpa, chemistry major, etc) and can definitely imagine that there are at least 10 applicants with absolutely amazing resumes.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2
    You credentials sound good, but remember that the REU programs do favor minorities and women. In general, most REU programs receive well over 100 applications (some over 300!) for 8-12 spots. Also, although acceptances are sent out in early March, I didn't receive my rejection notice until about the end of April when I applied a few years back.

I don't mean to sound too pessimistic, but it would be to your advantage to start looking for back up plans now (just in case). If you get the REU, abandon your backup plan. If you don't get in, you can reapply next year.

Best of luck to you!

Edit: The information above came from the REU director at my school.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  4. Mar 5, 2008 #3
    Yeah, I'm neither a minority (or at least the ones they're looking for) or a woman. Fack...

But I definitely have other options, right now, I'm working in a lab that I've been in since last summer. My project should be wrapped up by the end of the semester. Next fall, I'm starting at a new lab (my current one isn't at my home institution, thus I can't get credit for the research I'm doing now) and both my current and future PI are willing to let me work in their labs this summer if my REU's don't go through.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?