Are Triple Points and Critical Points Theoretical or Observable in Real Life?

• Thread starter terp.asessed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phases
In summary, the conversation discusses the different phases of matter, including solid, liquid, gas, plasma, and Bose-Einstein condensate. It also explains how substances can change from one phase to another through processes such as melting and evaporation, and that not all substances are capable of changing phases. The different phases of matter are caused by the arrangement and movement of particles within the substance, and substances can exist in more than one phase at a time through phase transitions.
terp.asessed
I just read an article with a phase diagram, and I am curious if triple point and critical points are SIMPLY theoretical (just in mind) or are they possible in real life (observable in real life)? I understand what they represent, but I am curious.

Physics news on Phys.org
They are real. If you Google (images) for "triple point of water", those pictures that are not graphs show water at its triple point.

Likes terp.asessed

1. What are the different phases of matter?

The three most commonly known phases of matter are solid, liquid, and gas. However, there are also two additional phases called plasma and Bose-Einstein condensate.

2. How do substances change from one phase to another?

Substances can change phases through the processes of melting, freezing, evaporation, condensation, sublimation, and deposition. These changes occur when energy is added or removed from the substance.

3. Are all substances capable of changing phases?

No, not all substances can change phases. Substances that have a fixed shape and volume, such as metals, are unable to change phases. Only substances with a variable shape and volume, such as water, can change phases.

4. What causes the different phases of matter?

The different phases of matter are caused by the arrangement and movement of particles within the substance. In a solid, particles are tightly packed and vibrate in place. In a liquid, particles are less tightly packed and can move around each other. In a gas, particles are far apart and moving freely.

5. Can substances exist in more than one phase at a time?

Yes, substances can exist in more than one phase at a time. This is known as a phase transition, where two phases coexist in equilibrium. For example, during the process of melting, both solid and liquid water can exist at the same time.