Instant Karma: The Story of Selling Our Home

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home
In summary, the speaker and their wife sold their house to a Christian family with three children who home-schooled and seemed nice. However, the buyers ended up being dishonest and tried to extort money from the speaker for damages they caused themselves. The speaker also reveals that the buyers are now facing foreclosure on the house. The speaker takes satisfaction in their misfortune, believing it to be karma for their dishonesty. The speaker also reflects on how people who have wronged them in the past have faced similar consequences.
turbo
Gold Member
A few years back my wife and I sold our house in the county seat. We moved out here to the country to get away from ever-increasing property taxes and fees, and it took the better part of a year to sell the old place. The couple that bought the house has 3 kids, and they home-school them. They have Christian stickers and signs all over their vehicles and vanity plates with Christian themes. The buyers played on our sympathies and wheedled a substantial price reduction out of us. They seemed like nice enough people, and my wife and I thought that our very stable, upscale neighborhood would be a good place for them to raise the kids.

Shortly after they were in the process of moving in, I got a call from the wife saying that the ceiling in the downstairs bathroom was wet. It turns out that the thin brass waste-and-overflow pipe from the upstairs tub had ruptured (perhaps during winter when the place was unoccupied), and I told her that I'd pay a plumber to repair the minor damage. The plumber asked her if she wanted him to replace that brass with PVC and patch the ceiling (total cost less than $100) and she said "No, we're going to remodel the bathrooms." A few weeks later, she sent me a bill to replace the nice Delta mixing valves in both tub/shower enclosures with new valves, totaling almost $400. I refused to pay for that. Then a few months later, a lawyer sent me a VERY nasty letter trying to extort over $8000 from me and my wife for "undisclosed damage" that we had "covered up." I sent that shyster a pointed letter indicating that she was going to be facing an extortion charge if she pursued the bogus claim, and that was the end of that. The nice "Christian" woman dodges and avoids me at all costs because she knows what a dishonest creep she is. At an outdoor garden center, I saw her duck her youngest daughter behind a display of bagged manure/loam, etc, and they stayed hidden while I bought my supplies. I lingered a while at the kiosk, talking to the owners about anything, just so she'd have to sweat it out a bit longer.

Now the kicker - today my wife heard from a co-worker that our old house is in foreclosure and is back on the market. The finance company is trying to recoup some of their investment, though in this soft housing market, they'll probably take a bath. I regret the disruption and problems that the children will go through when losing their home, but the parents got just what they deserved. Instant Karma, indeed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some people are weasels. Unfortunately none of the weasels I've known have ever had any payback for their weaselness.

Evo said:
Some people are weasels. Unfortunately none of the weasels I've known have ever had any payback for their weaselness.
This is a rare example of payback. You're right. Most creeps go un-punished.

Edit: I hate to use the word "weasel" to describe creeps. Some of my favorite friends have been weasels. They are fast, brave, and very intelligent. One day in HS, I had a wild weasel sharing my sandwich when some friends of mine and I climbed Coburn Mountain to visit the forestry department's fire tower. That little critter came in and out of a rock cairn, and begged for food.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
This is a rare example of payback. You're right. Most creeps go un-punished.

I wouldn't be so sure. In any event, over the years I have noticed that people who really jerked me around end up with much bigger problems than I do. For example, there were some yahoos who gave me a very bad time when we moved here. One is now dead. Neither the x-wife of kids will have anything to do with the next - the last I heard he basically lives in a bar. Another ended up in jail. And the last of the bunch lost everything he owned to the bank. I don't want to feel good about that, but given that my life was threatened, it is hard not to smirk when I think about it.

I wouldn't be so sure. In any event, over the years I have noticed that people who really jerked me around end up with much bigger problems than I do. For example, there were some yahoos who gave me a very bad time when we moved here. One is now dead. Neither the x-wife of kids will have anything to do with the next - the last I heard he basically lives in a bar. Another ended up in jail. And the last of the bunch lost everything he owned to the bank. I don't want to feel good about that, but given that my life was threatened, it is hard not to smirk when I think about it.
The only problem is they probably see their hardships as happening through no fault of their own. If only people like that were smart enough to also have the guilt that it all happened because they suck as a person.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Put another way, we all make our own bed. Whether they understand that or not, the results are the same.

You mean just deserts. Just Desserts is the name of that pastry shop that sold me a stale slice of cheesecake. I hope they choke on the money.

1. How did the idea for "Instant Karma: The Story of Selling Our Home" come about?

The idea for "Instant Karma: The Story of Selling Our Home" came about when I was reflecting on the process of selling our family home. I realized that there were many unexpected lessons and experiences that came with the journey, and I wanted to share them with others.

2. What makes "Instant Karma: The Story of Selling Our Home" different from other books about selling homes?

Unlike other books about selling homes, "Instant Karma: The Story of Selling Our Home" is a personal and relatable account of the emotional and practical aspects of selling a home. It not only provides practical tips and advice, but also delves into the deeper emotional impact of selling a home and leaving behind memories.

3. How did selling your home affect your family?

Selling our home had a significant impact on our family. It brought about a mix of emotions, from excitement and anticipation to sadness and nostalgia. It also forced us to confront and make decisions about our future and our relationships with each other.

4. Is "Instant Karma: The Story of Selling Our Home" only for those who are planning to sell their homes?

No, "Instant Karma: The Story of Selling Our Home" is not just for those who are planning to sell their homes. It can also be a helpful read for anyone who is going through a major life change, such as moving to a new city or downsizing. The lessons and experiences shared in the book can be applied to any major life transition.

5. What do you hope readers will take away from "Instant Karma: The Story of Selling Our Home"?

My hope is that readers will gain insight and understanding into the process of selling a home, as well as the emotional impact it can have. I also hope that readers will be inspired to approach major life transitions with a positive mindset and embrace the unexpected lessons that come with them.