Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just filed my taxes today

1. Apr 7, 2005 #1
    Heh, so i just filed my taxes today. I'm rather proud. I was talking to some people who're in their 20's and its their first time doing them by themselves. My dad insisted that i do my own... so i did. At first i was really confused, but then it wasn't actually so bad. I did the telefile thing..... OMG! that whole touch tone process gets really old really fast!

"Question 3.... press 1 if the answer is yes, press 2 if no"
    *BLEEP*
    "you just pressed one, the answer is yes, please press 1 if this is true, press 2 if it is not."
    *BLEEP*
    "you have pressed 2, please refer back to question 3... if the answer is...."
    "GUH, i meant 1..."
    "...yes press 1, press 2 if no."
    grumble grumble, i already answered this stupid question...
    *BLEEP*
    "you just pressed two, the answer is no, please press 1 if this is true, 2 if it is not."
    "WHAT? I HIT ONE! CMON!"
    *BLEEP*
    "you have pressed 2, please refer back to question 3... if the answer is..."

*CLICK*

"stupid thing... i'll try again later..."

i think i had to call back like 3 times cause i kept getting so annoyed. It wasn't actually so bad though, once i got the knack of having to confirm every stupid thing i put in, it went quickly. Now i get a whole 50 bucks back! WAHOO.... heh... it almost doesn't seem worth it, heh.

So who else has been having fun with their taxes eh? You've got a week left for anyone who hasn't started!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2005 #2
    I got 85 back :approve:

Used one of them newfangled computer programs to file, print and mail.

4. Apr 7, 2005 #3

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

for once, Uncle Sam paid me a four digit number this year...about time since I usually ended up owing...Gale, if you anticipate at least $100, get turbo tax and efile, i highly recommend it.

5. Apr 7, 2005 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Dang, if only I could get away with something so simple as telefile. Good to learn early. That way it only gradually gets more complicated as time goes by. I remember refunds - those were nice.

6. Apr 7, 2005 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, if you go to the IRS web page, you can file your federal tax via turbo tax for free (or for free using a few other software packages).

You can file Colorado state taxes via their web page for free, as well (turbo tax charges you for state taxes).

7. Apr 7, 2005 #6

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I've always e-filed, using the free turbo tax software. Most I ever got back was $1600, but it's not like I ever made much. I haven't even paid any taxes now the last two years. I haven't even worked in the last year.

8. Apr 7, 2005 #7
    Happy to say, i am a lazy bum, and will never get a job until i have to, which means no taxes, until i get a job. One of the frills of being a minor, no need for income. (but no beer or voting). hey, If you are amish, you don't have to pay income taxes, i'll be amish :tongue2: (that could just be pennsylvania)

Fibonacci

9. Apr 7, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Argh! Usually I do my taxes quite promptly, as soon as all the forms have arrived. But, just haven't managed to find the time yet this year (correlation to increased time on PF? Nah, that couldn't be it, could it?). My taxes are still pretty simple. Ha, I'm still too poor from all those years as a grad student and post-doc. When I can move and wrestle my money away from this mismanaged state retirement plan (yet another incentive to move somewhere else), I suspect things will get a bit more complex.

10. Apr 7, 2005 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Gak :yuck: I had planned to do my taxes early this year and I haven't even started.

11. Apr 8, 2005 #10

Danger

Gold Member

You have a ways to go to catch up to me on procrastination. I haven't filed a return since '79. :approve:

12. Apr 8, 2005 #11
    Canucks don't pay income tax?

13. Apr 8, 2005 #12

Danger

Gold Member

Most do. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?