Have you filed your taxes yet?

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Taxes
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of filing taxes, including using telefile and computer programs to file, print, and mail. Some individuals have used these methods successfully, while others have had frustrating experiences with the touch tone process. The conversation also mentions receiving tax refunds and not having to pay taxes due to not working. It is also mentioned that some individuals procrastinate on filing their taxes. Overall, the conversation highlights the different experiences and opinions related to filing taxes.
Gale
Heh, so i just filed my taxes today. I'm rather proud. I was talking to some people who're in their 20's and its their first time doing them by themselves. My dad insisted that i do my own... so i did. At first i was really confused, but then it wasn't actually so bad. I did the telefile thing... OMG! that whole touch tone process gets really old really fast!

"Question 3... press 1 if the answer is yes, press 2 if no"
*BLEEP*
"you just pressed one, the answer is yes, please press 1 if this is true, press 2 if it is not."
*BLEEP*
"you have pressed 2, please refer back to question 3... if the answer is..."
"GUH, i meant 1..."
"...yes press 1, press 2 if no."
grumble grumble, i already answered this stupid question...
*BLEEP*
"you just pressed two, the answer is no, please press 1 if this is true, 2 if it is not."
"WHAT? I HIT ONE! CMON!"
*BLEEP*
"you have pressed 2, please refer back to question 3... if the answer is..."

*CLICK*

"stupid thing... i'll try again later..."

i think i had to call back like 3 times cause i kept getting so annoyed. It wasn't actually so bad though, once i got the knack of having to confirm every stupid thing i put in, it went quickly. Now i get a whole 50 bucks back! WAHOO... heh... it almost doesn't seem worth it, heh.

So who else has been having fun with their taxes eh? You've got a week left for anyone who hasn't started!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I got 85 back :approve:

Used one of them newfangled computer programs to file, print and mail.

for once, Uncle Sam paid me a four digit number this year...about time since I usually ended up owing...Gale, if you anticipate at least $100, get turbo tax and efile, i highly recommend it.

Gale17 said:
Heh, so i just filed my taxes today. I'm rather proud. I was talking to some people who're in their 20's and its their first time doing them by themselves. My dad insisted that i do my own... so i did. At first i was really confused, but then it wasn't actually so bad. I did the telefile thing... OMG! that whole touch tone process gets really old really fast!
Dang, if only I could get away with something so simple as telefile. Good to learn early. That way it only gradually gets more complicated as time goes by. I remember refunds - those were nice.

Kerrie said:
for once, Uncle Sam paid me a four digit number this year...about time since I usually ended up owing...Gale, if you anticipate at least $100, get turbo tax and efile, i highly recommend it.
Actually, if you go to the IRS web page, you can file your federal tax via turbo tax for free (or for free using a few other software packages).

You can file Colorado state taxes via their web page for free, as well (turbo tax charges you for state taxes).

I've always e-filed, using the free turbo tax software. Most I ever got back was $1600, but it's not like I ever made much. I haven't even paid any taxes now the last two years. I haven't even worked in the last year.

Happy to say, i am a lazy bum, and will never get a job until i have to, which means no taxes, until i get a job. One of the frills of being a minor, no need for income. (but no beer or voting). hey, If you are amish, you don't have to pay income taxes, i'll be amish :tongue2: (that could just be pennsylvania)

Fibonacci

Argh! Usually I do my taxes quite promptly, as soon as all the forms have arrived. But, just haven't managed to find the time yet this year (correlation to increased time on PF? Nah, that couldn't be it, could it?). My taxes are still pretty simple. Ha, I'm still too poor from all those years as a grad student and post-doc. When I can move and wrestle my money away from this mismanaged state retirement plan (yet another incentive to move somewhere else), I suspect things will get a bit more complex.

Gak :yuck: I had planned to do my taxes early this year and I haven't even started.

Evo said:
Gak :yuck: I had planned to do my taxes early this year and I haven't even started.
You have a ways to go to catch up to me on procrastination. I haven't filed a return since '79. :approve:

Danger said:
You have a ways to go to catch up to me on procrastination. I haven't filed a return since '79. :approve:

Canucks don't pay income tax?

franznietzsche said:
Canucks don't pay income tax?
Most do. :biggrin:

1. What is the deadline for filing taxes?

The deadline for filing taxes is typically April 15th of each year. However, if this date falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline may be extended to the following business day.

2. How do I file my taxes?

You can file your taxes electronically using tax software or through the IRS website, or you can mail in a paper tax return. It is recommended to file electronically for faster processing and to avoid potential errors.

3. What documents do I need to file my taxes?

You will need important documents such as your W-2 forms, 1099 forms, and any other income statements. You may also need receipts or records for any deductions or credits you plan to claim.

4. What happens if I miss the tax filing deadline?

If you miss the tax filing deadline, you may face penalties and interest on any taxes owed. It is important to file for an extension if you are unable to file on time. However, if you are due a refund, there is no penalty for filing late.

5. When can I expect to receive my tax refund?

If you filed electronically, you can expect to receive your tax refund within 21 days. If you filed a paper tax return, it may take up to 6 weeks to receive your refund. You can check the status of your refund on the IRS website.