Just passed my PhD with no corrections - a big thanks to PhysicsForums

• Thread starter rwooduk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a person who took a 15-year break from academia and returned to do a physics degree. They received a Class I degree from a UK university and recently passed their viva in chemical engineering with no corrections. The person expresses gratitude to the members of PhysicsForums for their help and support during their studies. They also mention the possibility of pursuing a career as a scientific advisor and the importance of keeping sharp with resources like PhysicsForums. The conversation ends with a suggestion to update their profile page.
rwooduk
Having taken a 15 year break from academia I returned to do a physics degree. I went straight into the 2nd year of the undergraduate course and the help and advice from PhysicsForums really helped get me through it! I received a Class I degree from a good UK university. Yesterday I passed my viva (chemical engineering) with no corrections, which is apparently is as rare as it gets, so it's all done!

I just wanted to say a big thanks to the members of PhysicsForums for their help and support especially while I was doing my physics degree and for help with some of the other strange (and dumb) questions I've asked whilst on my PhD!

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move elsewhere.

• Love
Likes dlgoff, Drakkith, atyy and 19 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Congrats! You are the one who did the heavy lifting.

I think I see a future SA in the making... :smile:

Likes Wrichik Basu and rwooduk
BTW, just time to update your Profile page. Just sayin' :wink:

berkeman said:
Congrats! You are the one who did the heavy lifting.

I think I see a future SA in the making... :smile:

Thank you! Hmm I can certainly see the appeal! Having constant exposure to the subject over 4 years led to a strong understanding and certainly boosts self confidence when the ability to understand and explain concepts is there. I should imagine that this forum provides an excellent resource for SA's in "keeping sharp"! Resulting in a win-win for everyone involved.

berkeman said:
BTW, just time to update your Profile page. Just sayin' :wink:

No idea what this means but I'm sure it's positive lol.

Thanks again!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
rwooduk said:
No idea what this means but I'm sure it's positive lol.
https://www.physicsforums.com/account/account-details

Likes jim mcnamara, berkeman and rwooduk
Greg Bernhardt said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/account/account-details

Ahhh I see. Thanks!

Likes berkeman and Greg Bernhardt
Well done, Dr rwooduk!

Likes rwooduk and Wrichik Basu
rwooduk said:
... I returned to do a physics degree.
rwooduk said:
I received a Class I degree from a good UK university.

Congratulations :bow:

Likes rwooduk

1. What is PhysicsForums?

PhysicsForums is an online community and discussion forum for scientists, researchers, and students interested in physics and related fields. It is a platform for exchanging ideas, asking questions, and seeking help with various topics in physics.

2. How can PhysicsForums help me with my PhD?

PhysicsForums can provide valuable resources and support for those pursuing a PhD in physics. The community is made up of knowledgeable and experienced individuals who can offer advice, feedback, and guidance on research topics, experimental techniques, and academic writing.

3. Can I post my research on PhysicsForums?

Yes, you can share your research on PhysicsForums and receive feedback and suggestions from other members. However, it is important to follow the forum's guidelines and ensure that your research does not violate any copyright or confidentiality agreements.

4. Are there any fees for using PhysicsForums?

No, PhysicsForums is a free platform for anyone to join and use. However, there may be some premium features or services that require a paid subscription.

5. Can I collaborate with other members on PhysicsForums?

Yes, PhysicsForums encourages collaboration among its members. You can connect with other researchers and scientists in your field, exchange ideas, and even find potential collaborators for your projects.