1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just started Centripetal Force

1. Jul 12, 2008 #1
    ok the textbook says Centripetal Force always points towards the centre of circle as well as the Centripetal acceleration. But Why?

Also I was given a diagram in the textbook like the one below. I dont understand why
    Fc = the friction force...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

could you guys explain this to me please?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The force must always point toward the centre of a circle to keep the particle or object moving round in a circle. I don't know why the centripetal force equals the friction force, it depends on the context. Could you give more information?

4. Jul 12, 2008 #3
    thank you.
    that diagram i posted comes from a question related to car that is rounding a curve on a level road.

5. Jul 12, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In that case the centripetal force will equal the static friction when the car is going round the curve at a speed just before slipping. If you go round a curve too fast the friction will not be enough to keep the car from sliding and you will skid off.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?