1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Justifications for whether a resolution can be true for various analytical methods

1. Feb 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ' In a recent publication in the Journal of unusual Protein Structures, the authors reported the structure of the protein methodcomparosin (MC). They compared different methods for structural determination, as detailed below, and reported that the same structure was obtained with each method.

• method 1: X-ray crystalography (usind synchrotron radiation with a wavelength of 0.35 angstrom meters
      method 2: 2D-NOSEY-NMR spectroscopy
      method 3: electron diffraction (using 40eV electrons)
      method 4: neutron diffraction (using neutrons with a speed of 9500 m/s)

In the publication, the authors claim to have obtained the structure of MC with a resolution of 0.5 angstrom meters or better for all methods. For each of the methods which they used state if this can be true and justify your answer.

2. Relevant equations

ke=0.5m(v^2) E=hv ke=(p^2)/2m

(DON'T KNOW IF THESE ARE RIGHT NONE ARE SUPPLIED)

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to start i'm guessing i need to work out the respective resolution wavelengths for each method?
    Just some guidance to get me started would be very helpful.

Thank you for your time.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted