Proving K|n!+k for n≥2, k=2,3,4,...,n by Induction

• Thread starter jonroberts74
  • Start date
In summary, this conversation is about whether or not k and n have the same values. If n=k then k is a factor of n! and if n>k then k is not a factor of n.
jonroberts74

Homework Statement

prove by induction that K|n!+k for all integers [tex]n \ge 2 [/tex] and k = 2,3,4,...,n
this one is different than other proofs I have had because I've only dealt with n changing but now n and k change.

k goes up to n, does this mean k and n have the same values?

for instance,

P(2)

[tex]2|2! + 2 \Rightarrow 2|4[/tex]

so p(k)

is [tex]k|n!+k; n=k[/tex]

[tex]k|k!+k[/tex]

??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jonroberts74 said:

Homework Statement

prove by induction that K|n!+k for all integers [tex]n \ge 2 [/tex] and k = 2,3,4,...,n

this one is different than other proofs I have had because I've only dealt with n changing but now n and k change.

k goes up to n, does this mean k and n have the same values?

for instance,

P(2)

[tex]2|2! + 2 \Rightarrow 2|4[/tex]

so p(k)

is [tex]k|n!+k; n=k[/tex] ??

You ask: "does this mean k and n have the same values?". No, that is not what it says and not what it means. Look at some small-n examples. If n = 3 it says that 2|3!+2 and 3|3!+3. So, k is not 3; it is any number in the set {2,3}. If n = 4 it says that all three of the statements 2|4!+2, 3|4!+3 and 4|4!+4 are true.

ah okay

whatever n is, then k takes on each value in the set {2,...,n}

The fact that if k< n the n k divides n! makes this pretty close to trivial.

[tex]2|n!+2[/tex]
[tex]3|n!+3[/tex]
[tex]4|n!+4[/tex]
[tex]\downarrow[/tex]
[tex]k|n!+k[/tex]

where k takes on the values of 2,3,4...n and n is an integer greater than or equal to 2

and because for all k<n, k|n and when n=k, k|n

so my p(k) is

[tex]k|n!+k[/tex]

and

p(k+1)

[tex](k+1)|n!+(k+1)[/tex]

Last edited:
I have to make a correction. its not asking for induction. all the other problems on this problem set were induction but I confirmed with my prof this is not an induction proof question

Can you see a common factor in the numerator?

Likes 1 person
k is a factor of k, clearly and k is a also a factor of n! by the given information

[tex]2 \le k \le n[/tex] and by definition of a factorial k had to be used somewhere along the product

[tex] \prod_{k=2}^{n} k[/tex]

case 1

k = 2, n > or equal 2

[tex] \frac{2*...*n + 2}{2}[/tex]

case 2

2 < k <n

[tex]\frac{2*...*k*...*n + k}{k}[/tex]

case 3

n=k

[tex]\frac{2*...*k + k}{k}[/tex]

Last edited:
Those case are not necessary. WWDG's point is that if [itex]k\le n[/itex] then k is a factor of n!.

I understand that but I am expected to show a proof. Seems a tad bit too easy to say if

[tex] k \le n[/tex] then k is a factor of n!

jonroberts74 said:
I understand that but I am expected to show a proof. Seems a tad bit too easy to say if

[tex] k \le n[/tex] then k is a factor of n!

But that is absolutely correct, so IS a proof! Sometimes proofs are easy---after you "see" them.

What is "K|n+k from k=2,3,4 .n"?

"K|n+k from k=2,3,4 .n" is a mathematical notation used to represent a series or sequence of numbers where the value of "n" is incremented by the values of 2, 3, and 4 in each subsequent term. For example, if n=1, the series would be 1, 3, 6, 10, 15, etc.

How is "K|n+k from k=2,3,4 .n" used in science?

This notation is commonly used in scientific research, particularly in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It can be used to represent various phenomena, such as growth rates, reaction rates, and physical properties.

What are some real-life examples of "K|n+k from k=2,3,4 .n"?

One example is the Fibonacci sequence, where n=0 or 1 and k=1. Another example is the series of energy levels in an atom, where n represents the principal quantum number and k represents the sublevels within that energy level.

What are the limitations of "K|n+k from k=2,3,4 .n"?

One limitation is that it only applies to series where the values of n and k are always positive integers. It also does not account for any external factors that may affect the series, such as environmental conditions or other variables.

How can "K|n+k from k=2,3,4 .n" be extended or modified?

The notation can be modified to include negative values of n and k, as well as decimal values. It can also be combined with other mathematical operations, such as multiplication or division, to create more complex series.