Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Karl Popper on brownian motion and the 2. law of thermodynamics

1. Feb 1, 2008 #1

LTP

I'm reading an old, maybe outdated, paper by Karl Popper about the 2. law of thermodynamics, brownian motion and perpetual motion.

Popper writes:
    Before that, Popper has described Planck's law as:
    So, my question is: Is brownian motion considered to be a violation to the 2. law of thermodynamics today? To me, it sounds like Popper is doing a lot of hand waving; and not so much with content in it.

Se the attachment for the full article.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No, Browian motion is not incompatable with entropy increase. Feynman invented a nice puzzle- a brownian ratchet which can appear to raise a macroscopic weight, driven by brownian motion. The resolution to this puzzle is interesting, and the groups trying to understand actin polymerization in terms of a Brownian ratchet would do well to read it.

The Second law of thermodynamics is a law of thermodynamics, and thus is a macroscopic, time-independant formulation. It has been experimentally demonstrated that entropy can decrease spontaneously for short times in out-of-equilibrium systems, in accordance with the fluctuation-dissipation theorem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?