1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Karnaugh Map from Boolean Expression

1. Mar 3, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I'm trying to figure out a few questions on a practice exam that I'm working on for my Intro to Logic Systems class and could use some help.

One of the questions (and the others are similar) says:

Determine the minimized realization in the sum-of-produicts form using literals of the function:
    f(A,B,C) = [itex]\Sigma[/itex]m(4,6) + [itex]\Sigma[/itex]d(2,3,7)

The given answer is f(A,B,C) = AC'.

I know that [itex]\Sigma[/itex]m(4,6) can be represented by AB'C' + ABC' and that [itex]\Sigma[/itex]d(2,3,7) can be represented by A'BC' + A'BC + ABC, but beyond that I am not sure what to do. I think that I need to construct a Karnaugh map from the expression, but am not sure how to do it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Before embarking on a K-map, I suggest that you construct a truth table for your Boolean expression for f(A,B,C), and compare it with AC', to make sure you have that right.

4. Mar 4, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure that I know how to construct a Karnaugh map given a truth-table. But I do not know how to construct a truth-table given an expression like that. Can you help me with that?

5. Mar 4, 2013 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Don't you just OR those two expressions:
    AB'C' + ABC' with A'BC' + A'BC + ABC?

I assume that is the way to go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted