Kay eats crow. The war was a lie. Kay to quit with no report made.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

In the news tonight.
Oh yes, no link between Iraq and terrorism.

Whom shall we hold accountable for these lies?

Hmmmmm.

Answers and Replies

Zero
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
In the news tonight.
Oh yes, no link between Iraq and terrorism.

Whom shall we hold accountable for these lies?

Hmmmmm.
Hillary Clinton? Atheists? The French?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Re: Re: Kay eats crow. The war was a lie. Kay to quit with no report made.

Originally posted by Zero
Hillary Clinton? Atheists? The French?
I think the Republicans should ask Bush to step down in 2004. If he doesn't, he could still lose. I can only pray.

Watch this build and build until it peaks in late October.

Zero
Re: Re: Re: Kay eats crow. The war was a lie. Kay to quit with no report made.

I think the Republicans should ask Bush to step down in 2004. If he doesn't, he could still lose. I can only pray.

Watch this build and build until it peaks in late October.
The Republicans are too power-hungry to ask him to step down, even though he goes against the traditional conservative behavior. This newest case is just one of a few dozen lies and misrepresentations that Bush is responsible for.

kat
In the news tonight.
mmm, which news? link? please :)

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Re: Re: Kay eats crow. The war was a lie. Kay to quit with no report made.

Originally posted by kat
mmm, which news? link? please :)
NBC evening news. This should be available on the net shortly.

The source: Powell.

Zero
Don't worry...the administration will keep 'looking'. LOL, you know what they remind me of? Those crackpot holistic 'medicine' people who claim that the negative results of science are 'inconclusive'.

kat

NBC evening news. This should be available on the net shortly.

I'm sorry, here's the actual text of Powell's briefing that I'm sure NBC was quoting....can you point out what exactly in the actual text you're referring to?

http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/28008.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Zero
Wow, Powell has memorized all the stupid bull**** Republican spin and lies, hasn't he? He works as many into his answers as possible...he might as well have not even been there and had Bill O'Reilly answering questions...

F-ing retards.

I don't care if Iraq was sponsoring terrorism or not :)

Zero
Originally posted by phatmonky
I don't care if Iraq was sponsoring terrorism or not :)
Dubya, is that you? Admit is, you just wanted Iraq so you could actually strike oil for one of teh few times in your oilman life. Couldn't find any in Texas, so you had to attack the Middle East, I see you for what you are, buddy!

Tsu
Gold Member

Colin?

russ_watters
Mentor

The source of what exactly?

Awful, awful article. First paragraph:
Secretary of State Colin Powell reversed a year of administration policy, acknowledging Thursday that he had seen no “smoking gun [or] concrete evidence” of ties between former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein and al-Qaida.
What policy and how did he reverse it? The actual Powell quote with context (much later in the report):
“I have not seen smoking gun, concrete evidence about the connection, but I do believe the connections existed,” he said.
and:
Powell, speaking at a news conference at the State Department, stressed that he was still certain that Iraq had dangerous weapons and needed to be disarmed by force, and he sharply disagreed with a private think tank report that maintained that Iraq was not an imminent threat to the United States.
Doesn't seem to me to be much different from what the administration has said all along.

The point of the story is to highlight this report and distort Powell's reaction to it:
Powell came under intense questioning at his news conference Thursday about a new report from the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, which accused the administration of systematically misrepresenting the weapons threat from Iraq.
Endowment for International Peace? Anyone think such a "think tank" would ever support any war? Didn't think so. They'd be arm and arm with Neville Chaimberlain. Oops.

Seems the Liberal media disinformation service pulled a fast one on you. They are hoping (probably correctly) that most people won't read past the subtitle or form their own conclusions from the quotes. Heck, even Zero has pointed out that media tactic before.

Zero
Russ, I have told you again and again to stop repeating the 'liberal media bias' lie...it just makes you look silly!:wink:

On Colin Powell's speech to the UN:

http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=138664&sid=6583a1ebfef1b6eca4e8d7aae50a1e0a [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Let me see, we had certainty enough to start a war, but almost a year later we still can't prove it. Gee, maybe if we wait another ten or twenty years they'll find something.

Edit: I should add that I did misunderstand the intial news report. Powell admits that we cannot show any link between Iraq and terrorism. The comments about Kay were obviously from other sources. I posted the text as soon as I found it.

Last edited:
kat
Let me see, we had certainty enough to start a war, but almost a year later we still can't prove it. Gee, maybe if we wait another ten or twenty years they'll find something.
Geee, I've got major DAAAAAY JAAA VOooooOO..this sounds hauntingly familiar to what people were saying about the Balkans prior to uncovering mass graves.

Edit: I should add that I did misunderstand the intial news report. Powell admits that we cannot show any link between Iraq and terrorism.
that is definately not what Powell states. Go back and read the link I gave..his words, verbatim...not someone elses interpretation.

The comments about Kay were obviously from other sources. I posted the text as soon as I found it.
I think you should read Kay's interim report before you start making claims of crow eating and the lack of reports.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Originally posted by kat
Geee, I've got major DAAAAAY JAAA VOooooOO..this sounds hauntingly familiar to what people were saying about the Balkans prior to uncovering mass graves.
Not even near the scale required for a weapons facility. It ain't there. They had their chance and they us into war based on a lie.

that is definately not what Powell states. Go back and read the link I gave..his words, verbatim...not someone elses interpretation.
You should listen as well as read. Comments made in interviews count just as well; even better sometimes.

“I have not seen smoking gun, concrete evidence about the connection, but I do believe the connections existed,” he said.
Well, he will probably die believing it as well. We don't start wars based on personal beliefs. They have produced no evidence.

I think you should read Kay's interim report before you start making claims of crow eating and the lack of reports. [/B]
Uh huh.

kat

Kay to quit with no report made.

Originally posted by kat
I think you should read Kay's interim report before you start making claims of crow eating and the lack of reports.

Uh huh.
MmmHmm

Nereid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
1984 anyone?

Even Tony (remember, Dubya's lapdog?) was honest enough to re-state things in terms of WMD program(s)

russ_watters
Mentor
Originally posted by Zero
Russ, I have told you again and again to stop repeating the 'liberal media bias' lie...it just makes you look silly!:wink:
Actually, Zero, I was going to put an asteresk in there next to "Liberal media disinformation service" because I put that in to mirror your language usage style. I don't believe there is a coherent propaganda machine of course, but the media IS liberal. But this isn't the thread for that discussion.

In any case, Zero, feel free to rebut my analysis if you have a case to make. I consider OT comments an intentional distraction.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Going in I was against this war for lack of evidence. For crying out loud, some of the so called evidence could have been high school kids on CB radios messing with the CIA. I remember being appalled that this kind of garbage was being used to justify a war. Then, when it was clear that we were going in, I hoped and prayed that the Bush administration had good classified information that we simply couldn't be told. Now it is clear that they didn't.

This war was illegal and Bush must be held accountable. If they had found an “immanent threat" as was promised as the key justification for the war, then I would sadly acknowledge that this war was unavoidable.

Nereid, I think WMDs now refers to Weapons of Moderate Destruction.
:wink:

kat

This war was illegal and Bush must be held accountable.
This war has yet to be proven illegal, but you're welcome to your opinion.

If they had found an “immanent threat" as was promised as the key justification for the war, then I would sadly acknowledge that this war was unavoidable.
Only one problem, Bush never said there was an imminent threat. However, Not waiting until there was an imminent threat WAS given as one reason.