Killing vectors in isotropic space-times

In summary: Yes. Any point ##p## for which ##K(p) = 0## is a fixed point under the flow of ##K##. Again, this is regardless of whether ##K## is a Killing field or...
"Don't panic!"
I've been reading up on Killing vectors, and have got on to the topics of homogeneous, isotropic and maximally symmetric space-times. I've read that for an isotropic spacetime, one can construct a set of Killing vector fields ##K^{(i)}##, such that, at some point ##p\in M## (where ##M## is the space-time manifold), ##K^{(i)\mu}(p)=0## and ##\nabla_{\nu}K^{(i)\mu}(p)\neq 0##. Intuitively, I understand that we must have ##K^{(i)\mu}(p)=0##, since isotropy is a rotational symmetry, and so we don't want the Killing vectors to translate the points, we want them to rotate about them. However, I don't understand why we require ##\nabla_{\nu}K^{(i)\mu}(p)\neq 0##. Why must the covariant derivative of each Killing vector be arbitrary? I read that it has something to do with ##\nabla_{\nu}K^{(i)\mu}(p)## generating "rotations" of neighbouring points about ##p##, but this is unclear to me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Don't panic!" said:
I understand that we must have ##K^{(i)\mu}(p)=0##, since isotropy is a rotational symmetry, and so we don't want the Killing vectors to translate the points, we want them to rotate about them.

That's not quite what the condition ##K^{(i)\mu}(p)=0## is saying. It is saying that any rotation must leave at least one point (the point ##p##) unchanged; hence, the action of the Killing vector on that point vanishes.

"Don't panic!" said:
I don't understand why we require ##\nabla_{\nu}K^{(i)\mu}(p)\neq 0##.

Because if it were zero, the action of the KVF on points neighboring ##p## would also vanish, but that's not what a rotation would do.

PeterDonis said:
That's not quite what the condition K(i)μ(p)=0K(i)μ(p)=0K^{(i)\mu}(p)=0 is saying. It is saying that any rotation must leave at least one point (the point ppp) unchanged; hence, the action of the Killing vector on that point vanishes.

Ah ok. So the Killing vector will move about all other points, but will keep the point p, about which you are applying it, fixed. It must vanish because ##K^{\mu}## generates space-time translations, i.e. ##x'^{\mu}=x^{\mu}+\epsilon K^{\mu}##, right? (And so, at p, we must have ##x'^{\mu}=x^{\mu}##).

PeterDonis said:
Because if it were zero, the action of the KVF on points neighboring ppp would also vanish, but that's not what a rotation would do.

So intuitively, is this condition stating that at neighbouring points, the action of the KVF is non-zero (i.e. its components are non-zero), such that these points will move around relative to the fixed point p, i.e. a rotation?

"Don't panic!" said:
It must vanish because ##K^{\mu}## generates space-time translations, i.e. ##x'^{\mu}=x^{\mu}+\epsilon K^{\mu}##, right?

No. A spacetime translation would not leave any points unchanged. The Killing vector we are discussing generates rotations.

"Don't panic!" said:
is this condition stating that at neighbouring points, the action of the KVF is non-zero (i.e. its components are non-zero), such that these points will move around relative to the fixed point p, i.e. a rotation?

Yes.

PeterDonis said:
No. A spacetime translation would not leave any points unchanged. The Killing vector we are discussing generates rotations.

What is the intuition for why ##K^{\mu}=0## at a point p, such that it is unchanged?

"Don't panic!" said:
What is the intuition for why ##K^{\mu}=0## at a point p, such that it is unchanged

Heuristically, the Killing vector at any point "points" in the direction in which the transformation induced by the Killing vector field will "move" the point. So if the point is left unchanged by the transformation, it doesn't get "moved" anywhere, and the Killing vector must vanish since there is nowhere for it to "point".

PeterDonis said:
Heuristically, the Killing vector at any point "points" in the direction in which the transformation induced by the Killing vector field will "move" the point. So if the point is left unchanged by the transformation, it doesn't get "moved" anywhere, and the Killing vector must vanish since there is nowhere for it to "point".

But is the transformation generated by the KVF of the form ##x’^{\mu}=x^{\mu}+\epsilon K^{\mu}##? If so, it makes sense to me that ##K^{\mu}=0## at p, as then it won’t be transformed.

"Don't panic!" said:
is the transformation generated by the KVF of the form ##x’^{\mu}=x^{\mu}+\epsilon K^{\mu}##?

Infinitesimally, yes, you can view it that way. But only infinitesimally.

PeterDonis said:
Infinitesimally, yes, you can view it that way. But only infinitesimally.

Yes, sorry. I should have stated that I meant infinitesimally. So is it correct to say that, at the infinitesimal level, the reason why the KVF must vanish at the point p is because we require that it remains unchanged, i.e. ##x’^{\mu}=x^{\mu}##?

"Don't panic!" said:
But is the transformation generated by the KVF of the form ##x’^{\mu}=x^{\mu}+\epsilon K^{\mu}##?
Just to interject that this is true for the flow generated by any vector field by definition.

"Don't panic!" said:
Yes, sorry. I should have stated that I meant infinitesimally. So is it correct to say that, at the infinitesimal level, the reason why the KVF must vanish at the point p is because we require that it remains unchanged, i.e. ##x’^{\mu}=x^{\mu}##?
Yes. Any point ##p## for which ##K(p) = 0## is a fixed point under the flow of ##K##. Again, this is regardless of whether ##K## is a Killing field or not.

Orodruin said:
Any point ppp for which K(p)=0K(p)=0K(p) = 0 is a fixed point under the flow of KKK. Again, this is regardless of whether KKK is a Killing field or not.

Thanks for the info. In the case where K is a killing field, is the interpretation of ##K(p)=0## at ##p##, that the point p remains fixed, i.e. its coordinates remain unchanged?

Why would it change just because it is a Killing field?

Orodruin said:
Why would it change just because it is a Killing field?

You’re right, I got myself mixed up there.

1. What are killing vectors in isotropic space-times?

In physics, a killing vector is a vector field on a manifold that preserves the metric tensor. In isotropic space-times, killing vectors refer to vector fields that preserve the isotropic nature of the space-time, meaning they do not change over time or in different directions.

2. How are killing vectors used in isotropic space-times?

Killing vectors are used to study the symmetries of isotropic space-times. They can help us understand the behavior of physical systems in these space-times, such as the motion of particles or the propagation of waves.

3. What is the significance of killing vectors in isotropic space-times?

Killing vectors play a crucial role in physics, particularly in general relativity. They are used to define conserved quantities, such as energy and angular momentum, and to study the behavior of physical systems in isotropic space-times.

4. How do killing vectors relate to the concept of isometry?

Isometry refers to a transformation that preserves the distance between points in a space. Killing vectors are a mathematical representation of isometries in isotropic space-times. They represent the symmetries that exist in these space-times.

5. Can killing vectors be generalized to non-isotropic space-times?

Yes, killing vectors can be generalized to non-isotropic space-times, but the concept of isometry may not apply in these cases. In non-isotropic space-times, killing vectors are still vector fields that preserve the metric tensor, but they may not preserve the isotropic nature of the space-time.