Kinematics and magnitude problem

In summary, the magnitude of velocity of an object after free falling from rest after 3 minutes can be calculated using the equation v = u + at, where u is the initial velocity (zero in this case), a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds. Using this equation, the final velocity is determined to be 1800 m/s.
nightlaei71
What is the magnitude of velocity of an object after free falling from rest after 3 minutes?
(A) 9.8 m/s (D) 180 m/s
(B) 32 m/s (E) 1800 m/s
(C) 87 m/s

I think the answer is 1800 m/s but I'm not sure how to arrive at it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what equation would you use?

I have no idea, the equations that we studied in this chapter don't seem to work with this problem.

What does free fall mean?

it's falling without a drag-producing device like a parachute

Have you tried transfering your minutes into seconds before putting everything into your formula?

I don't even know what formula to use. I'm in an AP class that my teacher doesn't show up to. He just assigns us homework and shows us videos. The book isn't much help at all so I'm completely lost.

If those are the only questions you have I'd just ask someone before you have to return the assignment. The formula is probably fairly straight forward and easily explainable. Afterwards you can just do the other questions quickly.

If your book has the answer in the back I might be able to determine the formula.

no answers...

Hint: What is the meaning of "acceleration due to gravity"?

the pull of gravity causes objects to accelerate towards the ground... that doesn't really help me

It would help you if you know what acceleration means. What's the definition of acceleration?

And what is the acceleration due to gravity?

You're right, it would help, but like I said, I really don't know. : /

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity; the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 [itex]m/s^2[/itex].

hi,
you could try using this equation
[tex]v=u+at[/tex] where v is the final velocity and u is the initial velocity
t is the time in seconds
a is acceleration
in your case a=9.8m/s^2
t=3*60 seconds = 180 seconds
now pop in the numbers and out will pop the answer

Actually, considering the options he was given, I'd say in his course the acceleration due to gravity is used as [tex]10\ m/s^2[/tex]

aviv87 said:
Actually, considering the options he was given, I'd say in his course the acceleration due to gravity is used as [tex]10\ m/s^2[/tex]

"he"? :frown: I'd hope not...

Question:
What is the magnitude of velocity of an object after free falling from rest after 3 minutes?

Solution:
Time:180s <----(3)(60) to convert to seconds
Acceleration:[tex]9.8m/s^2[/tex] <---- Gravitational Force on Earth
D=(A)(T)
D=(9.8)(180s)

Answer:
1764m

I might be wrong

*Edit: When I read my post again, I got confused, are you trying to find out the distance?

Raza said:
Question:

Solution:
Time:180s <----(3)(60) to convert to seconds
Acceleration:[tex]9.8m/s^2[/tex] <---- Gravitational Force on Earth
D=(A)(T)
D=(9.8)(180s)

Answer:
1764m

I might be wrong

*Edit: When I read my post again, I got confused, are you trying to find out the distance?

Here since the object is falling freely from rest, initial velocity(u) is zero. So now you have to find the final velocity(v). Use v = u + at, where a= [tex]9.8m/s^2[/tex]. So your answer is right. If you want to calculate distance, then use [tex]s = ut + {1 \over 2}a t^2 [/tex].

A car goes from 0 to 60 in 8 seconds. If it could keep up this acceleration, how fast would it be going in 16 seconds?

Do your problem the same way.

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It deals with concepts such as position, velocity, and acceleration.

What is magnitude in kinematics?

Magnitude refers to the size or amount of a physical quantity in kinematics, such as the magnitude of velocity or acceleration. It is typically represented by a numerical value and a unit of measurement.

What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities in kinematics?

Scalar quantities in kinematics are described by a single numerical value and a unit of measurement, such as distance or speed. Vector quantities, on the other hand, have both magnitude and direction, such as displacement or velocity.

How do you solve kinematics problems?

To solve kinematics problems, you need to identify the given information and use the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown quantity. It is important to pay attention to units and use proper algebraic manipulation to get the desired solution.

What are some real-world applications of kinematics?

Kinematics has many real-world applications, such as in designing vehicles and projectiles, analyzing sports movements, and understanding the motion of celestial bodies. It is also used in various industries, including robotics, video game development, and animation.