• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Kinematics Book Question -- Rowing a boat across a river at an angle

• Thread starter raniero
  • Start date
Hi, I was trying to solve the following problem which was assigned to me in my Kinematics course.

2ccqgs6.jpg

I found this solution for it. I understand the concept of relative velocity of the boat to the flowing river but what I really cannot understand is the trig part, of Vb/r :
Vb/r = 5cos(theta)i - 5sin(theta)j

Where did the cos(theta) and sin (theta) come from? I understand that this is represented in vectorial form, but I cannot visualize the direction of this velocity. Probably a graphical solution would solve my problem.

Thanks in advance

Answers and Replies

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
What is the "5?" What are the definitions of "sin" and of "cos?"

5 is the velocity relative to the 2m/s flow and sin is a function that calculates the fraction out of the hypotenuse value, in this case 5, in a particular direction.

I can now understand the Vb/r part, but I got confused when I tried to visualise Vb .

Any help, especially graphical help, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t34.0-12/10850742_10205179152815788_535294229_n.jpg?oh=7b9336761d53fdc41bde227b3f48da6e&oe=548A2ED6&__gda__=1418263047_41c23a5855f862274f068da0c46029b4

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
vb is at 45 degrees because the boat travels 50 m (width of the river) and lands 50 m downstream from A

Note that the angle between vr and vb is not ##\theta## as I think I read in your drawing....

According to the solutions it is not θ' as shown in my diagram, but I do not know of another way to represent it graphically. I simply cannot understand what is going on in the equations.

First of all try to understand directions i denotes in the right direction x axis and j to positive y(upwards) hece all ur movements are in y are downwards hence negative j.
now it makes θ angle with horizontal so cos θ is positive i direction and Sinθ of that vector point downwards it becomes negative j as per their axis so here vb/r represents velocity of boat wrt river (when river is not flowing) to calculate total velocity of body vb u have to add velocity of river vr to it which is -2 (going downwards).
u do 1 thing reverse j direction downwards and solve eqns again it will give u a more clear idea

I understood this part, what I do not understand is vb = vb sin(45)i - vb cos(45)j

sin(45) = opposite / adjacent = j/i

therefore, adjacent * sin (45) = opposite, but opposite is supposed to be in the j direction opposing the above equation ..
Similarly for cos(45) can be seen.. (should be in the i direction)

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
You have a good point there. Apparently they count the 45 degrees from the point of view of B: angle between line of sight to A and the shore. Somewhat inconsistent compared to ##\theta##. Nothing wrong with that, but they would have done better if they had at least mentioned that choice. Of course it doesn't make a difference because of this particular 45 degree value.