[Kinematics] Calculating the maximum height reached by the ball

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations to solve a problem and the importance of including a minus sign in front of the acceleration. An additional tip is provided to double check the solution by calculating the position at twice the time to maximum height.
Slimy0233
Homework Statement
A ball is thrown up at a speed of 4.0 m/s. Find the
maximum height reached by the ball. Take ##g = 10 m/s^2##
Relevant Equations
##v = u +at##
##S = ut +0.5(at^2)##
I realize I can solve the other way too. But I want to solve using the equations
##v = u +at##
##S = ut +0.5(at^2)##

and I don't know why I didn't get the right answer. Thank you for your help!
1687360824195.png

1687360845686.png
DocScanner 21-Jun-2023 20-45 (1).jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot the minus sign in front of the acceleration.

• Informative
Likes MatinSAR and Slimy0233
kuruman said:
You forgot the minus sign in front of the acceleration.
ahh.... my good old archnemesis: the minus sign.

Thank you for pointing that out!

An additional check to this kind of problem is to calculate the position at twice the time to maximum height. It should be zero because what goes up must come down, as they say.

Likes MatinSAR and Slimy0233
kuruman said:
An additional check to this kind of problem is to calculate the position at twice the time to maximum height. It should be zero because what goes up must come down, as they say.
Thank you :smile: That's helpful. I will do that from now on.

Likes kuruman

1. How do I calculate the maximum height reached by a ball?

To calculate the maximum height reached by a ball, you will need to know the initial velocity of the ball, the acceleration due to gravity, and the time it takes for the ball to reach its maximum height. You can use the equation h = (vi^2*sin^2(theta))/(2g), where h is the maximum height, vi is the initial velocity, theta is the angle at which the ball was thrown, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. What is the significance of calculating the maximum height of a ball?

Calculating the maximum height of a ball can provide important information about the ball's trajectory and the forces acting upon it. It can also be used to determine the potential energy of the ball at its highest point and can be used in other calculations, such as determining the range of the ball.

3. How does air resistance affect the calculation of maximum height?

Air resistance can affect the calculation of maximum height by reducing the vertical velocity of the ball. This means that the ball will not reach the same maximum height as it would without air resistance. However, for most calculations, the effect of air resistance is negligible and can be ignored.

4. Can the maximum height of a ball be greater than its initial height?

No, the maximum height of a ball cannot be greater than its initial height. This is because the ball will always experience a downward acceleration due to gravity, causing it to eventually fall back down to its initial height. The maximum height reached by the ball will always be equal to its initial height if there is no air resistance.

5. How can I use the maximum height of a ball in real-world scenarios?

The maximum height of a ball can be used in various real-world scenarios, such as in sports like basketball or baseball to determine the trajectory of a thrown ball. It can also be used in engineering and physics to understand the motion of objects and to make predictions about their behavior. Additionally, the calculation of maximum height can be applied to projectiles in military and defense applications.