Kinematics no number solution question issue

• Thread starter mrjoe2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary: As I've said previously, your solution was incorrect simply because that equation is not valid for accelerating objects, nor at an instant in time. You need to use a different equation that is specific to this situation.
mrjoe2
To demonstrate the tremendous acceleration of a top fuel drag racer, you attempt to run your car into the back of a dragster that is "burning out" at the red light before the start of a race. (Burning out means spinning the tires at high speed to heat the tread and make the rubber sticky.)

You drive at a constant speed of v0 toward the stopped dragster, not slowing down in the face of the imminent collision. The dragster driver sees you coming but waits until the last instant to put down the hammer, accelerating from the starting line at constant acceleration, a . Let the time at which the dragster starts to accelerate be t=0 .

What is tmax, the longest time after the dragster begins to accelerate that you can possibly run into the back of the dragster if you continue at your initial velocity?

i believe the only equation that would be required is v=d/t. it is the only one that i used but still got the incorrect answer.

when i worked it out i thought the answer would be delta d/vo, but it wasnt the correct answer. it seemed perfect for an expression as an answer to the maximum time it would take for the car to collide with the dragster because when the dragster reaches vo which is the speed of the car, that's the last possible time they could possible collide right?

Physics news on Phys.org
mrjoe2 said:
To demonstrate the tremendous acceleration of a top fuel drag racer, you attempt to run your car into the back of a dragster that is "burning out" at the red light before the start of a race. (Burning out means spinning the tires at high speed to heat the tread and make the rubber sticky.)

You drive at a constant speed of v0 toward the stopped dragster, not slowing down in the face of the imminent collision. The dragster driver sees you coming but waits until the last instant to put down the hammer, accelerating from the starting line at constant acceleration, a . Let the time at which the dragster starts to accelerate be t=0 .

What is tmax, the longest time after the dragster begins to accelerate that you can possibly run into the back of the dragster if you continue at your initial velocity?

i believe the only equation that would be required is v=d/t. it is the only one that i used but still got the incorrect answer.
when i worked it out i thought the answer would be delta d/vo, but it wasnt the correct answer. it seemed perfect for an expression as an answer to the maximum time it would take for the car to collide with the dragster because when the dragster reaches vo which is the speed of the car, that's the last possible time they could possible collide right?
The equation v=d/t is only valid for constant velocity and not when an object is accelerating. I would suggest that the problem is best tackled using kinematic equations.

Hootenanny said:
The equation v=d/t is only valid for constant velocity and not when an object is accelerating. I would suggest that the problem is best tackled using kinematic equations.

i understand that, however, the question is asking for a specific point in time, which is at a certain velocity, and not during the time the dragster is accelerating. ( i am first year university physics and it is quite hard for me)

mrjoe2 said:
i understand that, however, the question is asking for a specific point in time, which is at a certain velocity, and not during the time the dragster is accelerating. ( i am first year university physics and it is quite hard for me)
Whilst that is true, v=d/t is not valid at a specific point in time, the equation requires a change in distance and a change in time and should really be written:

[tex]v = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}[/tex]

Hootenanny said:
Whilst that is true, v=d/t is not valid at a specific point in time, the equation requires a change in distance and a change in time and should really be written:

[tex]v = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}[/tex]

that was my original solution. i rearranged v = dd/dt to get dtmax = dd/vo and i thought that would be the solution. but it was incorrect. is there anything that you can do to lead me to a correct expression that would be a solution to this question?

mrjoe2 said:
that was my original solution. i rearranged v = dd/dt to get dtmax = dd/vo and i thought that would be the solution. but it was incorrect. is there anything that you can do to lead me to a correct expression that would be a solution to this question?
As I've said previously, your solution was incorrect simply because that equation is not valid for accelerating objects, nor at an instant in time. You need to use kinematic (SUVAT) equations to solve this problem.

Hootenanny said:
As I've said previously, your solution was incorrect simply because that equation is not valid for accelerating objects, nor at an instant in time. You need to use kinematic (SUVAT) equations to solve this problem.

just to make clear. there is no solid number answer to this question right? it is an expression?

mrjoe2 said:
just to make clear. there is no solid number answer to this question right? it is an expression?
Correct.

Related to Kinematics no number solution question issue

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is a "no number solution" in kinematics?

A no number solution in kinematics refers to a situation where the equations of motion do not have a numerical solution, usually due to a lack of enough information or incorrect assumptions.

3. What is a "question issue" in kinematics?

A question issue in kinematics refers to a problem or difficulty in solving a specific kinematics question, such as not having enough information, using incorrect equations, or making mathematical errors.

4. How can I solve a kinematics question with no number solution?

If a kinematics question has no numerical solution, it is important to carefully review the given information and make sure all necessary assumptions and equations are being used correctly. If necessary, additional information may need to be gathered or the problem may need to be approached from a different angle.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving kinematics problems?

Some common mistakes when solving kinematics problems include using incorrect equations, not considering all forces or factors affecting the motion, and making mathematical errors such as incorrect units or signs. It is important to carefully check all steps and assumptions when solving kinematics problems to avoid these errors.