Finding the Minimum Distance Between Two Points Using Graphing Calculator

In summary, to find the minimum distance between two points P and Q with position vectors rOP = 50ti and rOQ = 40i - 20tj meters, the distance formula can be used by plugging in the coordinates as functions of time. The resulting function can then be differentiated and set equal to 0 to find the minimum value. Alternatively, one can graph the distance formula and use a calculator to find the minimum point on the graph.
xzibition8612

Homework Statement

Two points P and Q have position vectors in a reference frame that are given by rOP = 50ti and rOQ = 40i - 20tj meters. Find the minimum distance between P and Q and the time at which this occurs.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose I take the magnitude of each vector, but then what? They both share the same origin, how do i manipulate it so that they give me the PQ length?

Physics news on Phys.org
What path do each of the points move on?

the x and y-axis respectively

What I would do here is just look at the two paths. Choose a few values of t, and see if they are getting closer together or farther apart.

Since their paths are very simple, I don't think it would be that hard to find the point where they switch from approaching to getting more distant.Edit, actually I just looked at them more closely and maybe it would be easier to plug the equations into the distance formula, since you know that the triangle between them will always have its right angle on the same point.

right. but i would rather there be a methodical way instead of plug and chug. can you tell me a general formula i should follow, such as take the magnitude and then subtract them ...etc. thanks

I haven't attempted to solve a problem such as this before, but as a general rule I would define the equations as x1(t), y1(t), x2(t), and y2(t).

The distance between two points is √{[x1(t) - x2(t)]2 + [y1(t) - y2(t)]2}.

And then find the minimum value of the resulting function.

I suggest using the distance formula however the coordinates will be function of time so d=f(t). You can graph d vs t and select smallest d or take the derivative d[d]/dt and set equal to zero

alright i tried out the distance formula. sqrt [ (50t-40)^2+(20t)^2 ]

I get sqrt [1900t^2-2400]

then what? i don't think i can set it equal to anything...
thanks

xzibition8612 said:
alright i tried out the distance formula. sqrt [ (50t-40)^2+(20t)^2 ]

This is right.

xzibition8612 said:
I get sqrt [1900t^2-2400]

I don't believe this is right.

sqrt [ (50t - 40)2 + (20t)2 ]
sqrt [ 2500t2 - 4000t + 1600 + 400t2 ]
sqrt [ 2900t2 - 4000t + 1600 ]

This is the function for the distance between the two points, and the question asks for the minimum distance.

A small suggestion. If you are minimizing the distance d, then you are also minimizing d2. This may be a useful consideration when it comes to minimizing the effort required to apply calculus...

ok so far i got d^2=2900t^2-4000t+1600. Now the question is to find a t such that d would be at a minimum. How do I do that? Is taking the derivative with respect to t possible? But since d depends on t, wouldn't I get 2dd'?
Thanks.

d=Sqrt(2900t2-4000t +1600)

Take the the derivative using chain rule, simplify, set numerator = 0, solve for t. The math will be easy

so d will become zero since it's constant? and what does set numerator=0 mean? thanks

As I suggested, you can ignore the square root and minimize d2, that will result in a minimum d, too.

So how do you go about finding a minimum (or a maximum for that matter) of a function f(t) with respect to t?

If you are not familiar with differential Calculus, use your graphing calculator to graph the distance formula (Distance vs. time). Find the point on the graph where d is the smallest. What is the t value at that point? You can use a trace command or other features on your calculator to find the minimum d.

1. What is kinematics of a point?

Kinematics of a point is a branch of physics that studies the motion of a point-like object, also known as a particle, without considering the underlying causes of the motion.

2. What are the three basic quantities in kinematics of a point?

The three basic quantities in kinematics of a point are position, velocity, and acceleration. Position refers to the location of the point in space at a given time, velocity is the rate of change of position, and acceleration is the rate of change of velocity.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that measures how fast an object is moving without considering its direction. Velocity, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that measures the rate of change of position and takes into account the direction of motion.

4. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken. It is the overall rate of change of position. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. It is calculated by taking the limit of the average velocity as the time interval approaches zero.

5. How is acceleration related to velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. It is a vector quantity that measures the change in velocity over time. If an object is accelerating, its velocity is changing, either in magnitude, direction, or both. In other words, acceleration is the second derivative of position with respect to time.