What are the times when a pellet reaches 25 meters above its initial height?

• Thread starter DrPepper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the problem involves a pellet being fired upward with an initial velocity of 25 m/s and the question is asking at what times the pellet will be 25 meters above its initial height. The equation used is 25=25t-4.91t^2, and after factoring and completing the squares, the solutions are t = 3.736627555 and t = 1.365413261. This can also be solved using the quadratic formula, but since the student is in grade 10 and has not learned it yet, the method of completing the squares is used.
DrPepper

Homework Statement

A pellet is fired upward with an initial velocity of 25 m/s. At what times in the pellet 25 meters above its fired height

Homework Equations

S=ut+1/2at^2 I got it down to,
Displacement(s)=25m
U(initial velocity)=25 m/s
and a=acceleration due to gravity -9.81
I got 25=25t+1/2(-9.81)(t^2)
then 25=25t+-4.91t^2 and I am stumped

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried dividing both sides by 25t, leaving
1/t=-4.91t^2, but I really have no clue.
I can't use the quadratic formula and I need 2 times. Any hints would be very nice! Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a little bit confused, are you not allowed to use the quadratic formula for this problem? The quadratic formula is the perfect way to solve for those two times.

kiwikahuna said:
I'm a little bit confused, are you not allowed to use the quadratic formula for this problem? The quadratic formula is the perfect way to solve for those two times.
Well I am in grade 10, and we haven't learned it yet, so it is off limits. Sorry for the confusion

In that case, you should find the final velocity of this projectile motion. After you find the final velocity, you can find the times using the definition of acceleration.

Well, let's start with what you arrived at:

25=25t+-4.91t^2

Now just factor this equation to find the values of t. You probably know the method of completing the squares, that is :

-4.9t^2 + 25t = 25

Dividing through whatever is multiplied on the square term

-t^2 + (25/4.9)t = 25/4.9

making the squared term positive

t^2 - (25/4.9)t = -25/4.9

Half the x coefficient (-25/4.9) -> (-25/9.8) and squaring it: (625/96.04) then adding this to both sides:

t^2 - (25/4.9)t + 625/96.04 = -25/4.9 + 625/96.04

then you know:

(t - 25/9.8)^2 = (625(4.9) - 25(96.04))/(4.9)(96.04)

simplifying:

(t-25/9.8)^2 = 661.5/470.596

Thus you know that

t - 25/9.8 = +/- sqrt (661.5/470.596)

as both the negative and positive numbers make a square positive number.

and thus your answers:

t = 25/9.8 +/- sqrt (661.5/470.596)

and using your trusty calculator you know now :

t = 3.736627555 (for the +)
and
t = 1.365413261 (for the -)

1. What is "Kinematics pellet question"?

"Kinematics pellet question" refers to a type of physics problem that involves analyzing the motion of an object, specifically a pellet, based on its initial velocity, acceleration, and time. It is a common topic in introductory physics courses.

2. How do you solve a kinematics pellet question?

To solve a kinematics pellet question, you first need to identify the known variables, such as the initial velocity and time. Then, you can use the kinematic equations to calculate the unknown variables, such as the final velocity or displacement. It is important to draw a clear diagram and label all the variables before solving the problem.

3. What are the kinematic equations?

The kinematic equations are a set of four equations that relate the variables of displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time in a linear motion. They are:
1) v = u + at
2) s = ut + 1/2at^2
3) v^2 = u^2 + 2as
4) s = 1/2(u + v)t
where v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, s is displacement, and t is time.

4. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Average velocity can be calculated using the displacement and time, while instantaneous velocity can be found using the derivative of the displacement-time graph.

5. How does acceleration affect the motion of a pellet?

Acceleration affects the motion of a pellet by changing its velocity over time. If the acceleration is positive, the pellet will speed up, while a negative acceleration will cause the pellet to slow down. The magnitude of the acceleration also determines how quickly the pellet's velocity changes. A higher acceleration will result in a faster change in velocity, while a lower acceleration will cause a slower change in velocity.