Kinematics problem for a box

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the necessary frictional force to stop a 95-kg box sliding at 15m/s on a level floor. The equation vf^2=vi^2+2ad is used to find the acceleration, but the force needed to produce that acceleration is still unknown. The conversation suggests using F=ma to solve for the frictional force.
katem

Homework Statement

A 95-kg box is sliding along a level floor with a vi of 15m/s.

a) how large of a constant frictional force is needed to stop to box in a distance of 15m?
b)What is the coefficent of friction between the box and the floor.

Homework Equations

I tried to use vf^2=vi^2+2ad.

The Attempt at a Solution

i used the above equation and i found the acceleration by putting vf as 0 but i am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can find the acceleration, why can't you find the force needed to produce that acceleration? F=ma.

Your attempt at solving the problem is a good start. However, there are a few things missing in your solution that I would like to address.

Firstly, when using the equation vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad, it is important to note that this equation is only valid for motion with constant acceleration. In this case, the box is slowing down due to the frictional force acting on it, which is not a constant force. Therefore, we cannot use this equation directly to find the acceleration.

To find the acceleration, we need to use Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration (F=ma). In this case, the net force is the sum of the frictional force and the force of gravity (mg), which is acting in the opposite direction of motion. Therefore, we can write the equation as Fnet = ma = mg - Ffr. Rearranging this equation, we get Ffr = mg - ma.

Next, we can use the equation for work (W = Fd) to relate the frictional force to the distance traveled. Since we know that the box is stopping in a distance of 15m, we can write the equation as Wfr = Ffr * d = (mg - ma)d. We also know that the work done by the frictional force will be equal to the change in kinetic energy of the box (since the box is initially moving and comes to rest), which can be written as Wfr = (1/2)mvf^2 - (1/2)mvi^2.

Now, we can equate these two equations and solve for the frictional force (Ffr). This will give us the answer to part (a) of the problem.

For part (b), we can use the equation for coefficient of friction (μ = Ffr/Fn), where Fn is the normal force acting on the box. We can find the normal force by using the equation Fnet = mg - Fn = ma, and solving for Fn. Then, we can substitute this value in the equation for μ and solve for it.

I hope this helps you to solve the problem. Remember to always use the correct equations and make sure to consider all the forces acting on the object when solving kinematics problems. Good luck!

1. What is kinematics and how does it apply to a box?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. In the case of a box, kinematics can be used to analyze its position, velocity, and acceleration as it moves through space.

2. What information is needed to solve a kinematics problem for a box?

To solve a kinematics problem for a box, you will need to know the initial position and velocity of the box, as well as any forces acting upon it. You may also need to know the mass of the box and the type of motion it is undergoing (e.g. constant velocity or acceleration).

3. How can I determine the position of a box at a specific time?

To determine the position of a box at a specific time, you can use the kinematic equation x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where x is the final position, x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

4. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time it took to travel that distance. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. In other words, average velocity gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous velocity gives a more precise snapshot at a specific point in time.

5. Can kinematics be used to predict the future motion of a box?

Yes, kinematics can be used to predict the future motion of a box based on its initial conditions and any external forces acting upon it. However, it is important to note that kinematics does not take into account any changes in the motion caused by forces, such as friction or air resistance.