1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics problem help

1. Nov 8, 2007 #1
    Q: The average alcohol-free driver requires about 0.8 s to apply the brakes
    after seeing an emergency. Calculate the distance travelled after seeing the emergency
    before applying the brakes.

with the question, the given speed is 17 m/s and t = 0.8.
    at first, i used d =vt equation to find the distance, however,
    when i read through the question again, i had a feeling that it's not right.
    my first answer was d=14m, but it just doesnt look correct.

i was thinking of finding the acceleration then use v[tex]^{2}_{f}[/tex]=v[tex]^{2}_{i}[/tex] +2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]d
    to solve for d, OR, use this equation, [tex]\Delta[/tex]d=1/2(v[tex]_{1}[/tex]+v[tex]_{2}[/tex])[tex]\Delta[/tex]t, without
    even having to find the acceleration.

one part of my knowledge tells me that i don't need acceleration to do this question
    because this is about "before" applying the break.

its confusing me..

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You "know" what you did is right. Resist the temptation to complicate it. I'm sure you'll get a chance to use that other stuff later.

4. Nov 8, 2007 #3

If Dick's reply isn't enough, your logic is right to me, simple enough. I don't see how it doesn't "look correct".

5. Nov 8, 2007 #4
    Thank you, I really appreciate it! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?