Kinematics problem- seems easy but having trouble

In summary, the problem involves a rocket launched straight up with a constant acceleration. After four seconds, a bolt falls off the rocket and hits the ground six seconds later. The task is to find the rocket's acceleration. The 1D kinematic equations for a constant acceleration are used to solve for the acceleration. It is important to take into account the initial position and velocity of the screw, and to note that the acceleration of the screw is not zero, but rather the contribution of the rocket's acceleration to the screw's acceleration is zero after four seconds. Calculus is not necessary to solve this problem.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
So the problem is this: A rocket is launched straight up with a constant acceleration. Four seconds after liftoff a bolt falls off the rocket and hits the ground 6 seconds later. What was the rockets acceleration?

Well the initial velocity of the rocket is 0m/s and the velocity of the rocket at four seconds is equal to the initial velocity of the screw. The acceleration of the screw is -g and at first I assumed the distance the bolt fell is the same as the distance the rocket went up but i didn't take into account the fact the the bolt would continue to move up for a tiny bit before it started to fall. Thats all I can get , can someone point me in the right direction here. I know I know how to solve it but i can't find a formula or group of formulas to use.

Thanks Alot :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
The 1D kinematic equations for a constant acceleration is:

x(t) = x_o + v_o*t + at^2/2, v(t) = dx/dt = v_o + at

Let r(t) = the position of the rocket, and s(t') = the position of the screw, where t' = t-4. It's easy to find the kinematic equation for the rocket. As for the screw, its initial position is r(4) and its initial velocity is v_r(4), where v_r(t) is the velocity of the rocket. Obviously, the acceleration of the screw is zero. Figure out what s(t'=6) is and solve for a.

Just for kicks, how did you come up with the notion that the acceleration of the screw is zero? I am 100 percent sure that there is not only no need for calculus, but that the acceleration is never zero. Unless I too skipped something in this problem, I found the soltion wih just some simple algebraic substitution. If you both are interested, let me know.

DaMastaofFisix said:
Just for kicks, how did you come up with the notion that the acceleration of the screw is zero? I am 100 percent sure that there is not only no need for calculus, but that the acceleration is never zero. Unless I too skipped something in this problem, I found the soltion wih just some simple algebraic substitution. If you both are interested, let me know.
Nope, you're right, the acceleration of the screw is never zero. What I meant to say is that the contribution to the acceleration by the rocket for the screw is zero for any time after four seconds.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion and the factors that affect it, such as velocity, acceleration, and displacement.

2. What is a kinematics problem?

A kinematics problem is a mathematical question that involves analyzing motion using equations and principles of kinematics.

3. What makes kinematics problems seem easy?

Kinematics problems often involve simple equations and concepts, making them seem easy at first glance. However, they can become more complex when multiple variables are involved.

4. Why do people have trouble with kinematics problems?

People may have trouble with kinematics problems because they require a strong understanding of physics concepts and the ability to apply them to real-world scenarios. They may also struggle with setting up the proper equations or solving for multiple unknown variables.

5. What are some tips for solving kinematics problems?

Some tips for solving kinematics problems include drawing diagrams to visualize the problem, identifying known and unknown variables, using the correct kinematics equations, and checking for units and significant figures in the final answer.