Kinematics truck moving at 30m/s suddenly notices a moose 70m

In summary, the driver of a truck moving at 30m/s can stop in time to avoid hitting a moose 70m ahead if the reaction time is 0.5s and the maximum deceleration is 8m/s^2. However, the driver needs an additional 1.3m to stop in time, as found in the given book answer.
monkfishkev

Homework Statement

The driver of a truck moving at 30m/s suddenly notices a moose 70m straight ahead. If the driver's reaction time is 0.5s and the maximum deceleration is 8m/s^2, can he avoid hitting the moose without steering to one side?

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found out how long it would take the driver to stop.
v = u + at
0 = 30 -8t
t = 3.75

I then added the drivers reaction time of 0.5s so we land up with 4.25s

Then I tries to fid out the distance covered by using:
s = ut + 1/2at^2
s = 30(4.25) + 1/2(-8)(4.25)^2
s = 127.5 - 72.25
s = 55.25m

It would seem that the truck stops before 70m but the answer given in the book says no he doesn't stop in time and needs a further 1.3m.

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org

monkfishkev said:
I then added the drivers reaction time of 0.5s so we land up with 4.25s
Instead of adding the times together, treat the two segments of motion separately. Hint: How far does he get before he steps on the brakes?

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What does it mean for a truck to be moving at 30m/s?

This means that the truck is traveling at a speed of 30 meters per second. This is a measure of how fast the truck is moving in a given direction.

3. What is the significance of the truck suddenly noticing a moose 70m away?

This is important because it indicates that the truck is approaching a potential obstacle and may need to take evasive action to avoid a collision.

4. How will the truck's speed change as it tries to avoid the moose?

The truck's speed will decrease as it applies the brakes to slow down and avoid the moose. The exact change in speed will depend on the truck's initial speed, braking power, and reaction time.

5. How can kinematics help us understand the truck's motion in this situation?

Kinematics can help us analyze the truck's speed, acceleration, and displacement as it approaches the moose and changes its motion to avoid a collision. It can also help us determine the necessary braking distance and reaction time for the truck to safely come to a stop.