Understanding Kinetic Energy and Momentum in Elastic Collisions

In summary: MV^2v=u ...(momentum conservation)Case 3:B moves at a constant speed,A rebounds and B moves at a different speedmu^2 = mv^2 + MV^2v=0 ...(collision is elastic)In all of these cases, the final velocity of B is V=u.
davon806

Homework Statement

Hi,I have been struggling on this problem for a whole day,looking for someone to sort it out!

My question:(please see the attached diagram as well)
Consider 2 spheres A and B,having different masses (m and M) but equal in size.
A is moving to the right at a speed u, B is stationary(and at the right hand side of A).
The floor is smooth and the collision is elastic.

First,consider the KE of the system.Since KE is conserved,
0.5mu^2 = 0.5mv^2 + 0.5MV^2
mu^2 = mv^2 + MV^2

v = final speed of A
V = final speed of B
The max value of v = u (where A rebounds at it original speed),(i.e.velocity = -u)
in this case,

mu^2 = m(-u)^2 + MV^2
V = 0
B remains at rest and this makes sense.

The min value of v = 0,that is,
mu^2 = MV^2
V = √(mu^2/M)

On the other hand,the momentum of the system is conserved.
mu = mv + MV

If v = -u,
2mu = MV

And if M =m, V= 2u BUT NOT V = 0

If v = 0,
mu =MV
V = mu/M Which contradicts the above result again!

I know there must be something wrong leading to these inconsistent solutions.
Thx for everyone's help.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 3472.JPG
    3472.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 363
  • 3473.JPG
    3473.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 365
  • 3474.JPG
    3474.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 353
Physics news on Phys.org
You must give the original question.

rolotomassi said:
You must give the original question.
My question is,why would there be two different answers of V provided v is a constant(see my working).
No matter which equation you are using,it should yield the same result?However things just don't work here...

You say that A hits B, A rebounds with its original speed but B remains at rest? How is this possible.

davon806 said:

Homework Statement

Hi,I have been struggling on this problem for a whole day,looking for someone to sort it out!

Is this a problem you made up for yourself?

davon806 said:

Homework Statement

My question:(please see the attached diagram as well)
Consider 2 spheres A and B,having different masses (m and M) but equal in size.
A is moving to the right at a speed u, B is stationary(and at the right hand side of A).
The floor is smooth and the collision is elastic.

First,consider the KE of the system.Since KE is conserved,
0.5mu^2 = 0.5mv^2 + 0.5MV^2
mu^2 = mv^2 + MV^2

v = final speed of A
V = final speed of B
The max value of v = u (where A rebounds at it original speed),(i.e.velocity = -u)
in this case,

mu^2 = m(-u)^2 + MV^2
V = 0
B remains at rest and this makes sense.

The min value of v = 0,that is,
mu^2 = MV^2
V = √(mu^2/M)

On the other hand,the momentum of the system is conserved.
mu = mv + MV

If v = -u,
2mu = MV

And if M =m, V= 2u BUT NOT V = 0

If v = 0,
mu =MV
V = mu/M Which contradicts the above result again!

I know there must be something wrong leading to these inconsistent solutions.
Thx for everyone's help.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Those are not solutions to the general problem you have here. They are just solutions for extreme cases.

Yes, it's true that if the collision is elastic and sphere B remains stationary, then sphere A rebounds with the same speed it had prior to the collision. Of course for this case momentum is not conserved. Some external agent must be keeping sphere B from moving.

On the other hand. if you apply momentum conservation, and the spheres have equal mass, and furthermore sphere A rebounds with velocity -u, then sphere B will have final velocity 2u. You will also find that the final kinetic energy of the system is 5 times the initial kinetic energy.

What you need to do for this problem is to solve the two equations (one from each conservation law) simultaneously.By the way, I assume that the collision is head-on.

Sorry for being inarticulate,as this question was made up by myself while I was helping with my sister's homework.
The original question gave me the following conditions:
1.A collides with B (head-on collision)
2.A is at a speed u to the right.B is at rest
3.The collision is elastic
4.The floor is smooth
5.A has a mass m,B has a mass M,you don't know which one is bigger but it doesn't matter(in that question)

This is the background of my question:
So I am thinking of the final velocity of B (V) under several circumstances:

When A collide with B,
there are 4 outcomes,
which can be understood by solving the following equation:
0.5mu^2 = 0.5mv^2 + 0.5MV^2 ...(conservation of KE)
mu^2 = mv^2 + MV^2

Case 1:A rebounds at an unknown speed,B moves forwards at another speed
That is:
mu^2 = mv^2 + MV^2
0<|a|<|v|,
MV^2 < mu^2
The value of V would depend on the size of M,
If M>>m, V<<u ,
If M<<m,V>>u, (V and u are in same direction)

Case 2:A moves forwards at a speed v.v < u , and B moves forwards at a speed V > u
That is:
mu^2 = mv^2 + MV^2
0<v <u <V
MV^2<mu^2 (conservation of KE)
Again,V depends on M,
If M>>m,V<<u
If M<<m,V>>u

Case 3:They stick together and move forwards at a speed V < u
mu^2 = (m+M)V^2 = mV^2 + MV^2
MV^2 < mu^2
If M>>m,V<<u
If M<<m,V>>u (rejected,V<u)
Therefore if M>>m,case 3 is possible

Case 4:A stops,B moves forwards(= case 1)
mu^2 = MV^2
If m<<M,u>>V
If m>>M,u<<V

So let's forget those trashy details above,(I hope to provide some more information to you guys)
When I consider the momentum in this system,I found something weird,
take Case 4 as an example:
If A stops,by the conservation of momentum:
mu = MV ---> V = mu/M
On the other hand,V = √(mu^2/M) by equating Case 4.

What's wrong?

SammyS said:
Those are not solutions to the general problem you have here. They are just solutions for extreme cases.

Yes, it's true that if the collision is elastic and sphere B remains stationary, then sphere A rebounds with the same speed it had prior to the collision. Of course for this case momentum is not conserved. Some external agent must be keeping sphere B from moving.

On the other hand. if you apply momentum conservation, and the spheres have equal mass, and furthermore sphere A rebounds with velocity -u, then sphere B will have final velocity 2u. You will also find that the final kinetic energy of the system is 5 times the initial kinetic energy.

What you need to do for this problem is to solve the two equations (one from each conservation law) simultaneously.By the way, I assume that the collision is head-on.
Yes,I did equate both equations:
mu^2 = mv^2 + MV^2 --> MV^2 = mu^2 - mv^2 = m(u+v)(u-v)
and
mu = mv + MV ----> MV= mu - mv

Hence,MV^2 = MV(u+v)
V = u+v
if v = -u (rebounds at it original speed) , V = 0,B remains stationary(it seems sensible if B is very heavy)
if v = 0,V = u, so B moves at u

The problem is that it is quite difficult to visualize what's going on with those symbols...Especially when m and M are different.How could you accept V = u+v o_O
It is also quite confusing in the equation of KE and momentum,I assume they will yield the same answer without solving them simultaneously.

davon806 said:
Yes,I did equate both equations:
mu^2 = mv^2 + MV^2 --> MV^2 = mu^2 - mv^2 = m(u+v)(u-v)
and
mu = mv + MV ----> MV= mu - mv

Hence,MV^2 = MV(u+v)
V = u+v
if v = -u (rebounds at it original speed) , V = 0,B remains stationary(it seems sensible if B is very heavy)
if v = 0,V = u, so B moves at u

The problem is that it is quite difficult to visualize what's going on with those symbols...Especially when m and M are different.How could you accept V = u+v o_O
It is also quite confusing in the equation of KE and momentum,I assume they will yield the same answer without solving them simultaneously.
If v = -u, then you have not included conservation of momentum.

(I'll respond to your previous post shortly.)

Added in Edit:
That is to say, if v = -u, AND V =0, then you have conserved KE, but not conserved momentum.

On the other hand, if v = -u, AND you conserve momentum, then ##\displaystyle \text{V}=\frac{2m}{M}u\ .\ ## Of course, then KE is no longer conserved.

Last edited:
davon806 said:
mu = MV ---> V = mu/M

What happened the momentum of B before the collision?

To answer your last question first: "What's wrong?" Many things. Mostly, you can't have these cases for elastic collisions.

davon806 said:
Sorry for being inarticulate,as this question was made up by myself while I was helping with my sister's homework.
The original question gave me the following conditions:
1.A collides with B (head-on collision)
2.A is at a speed u to the right.B is at rest
3.The collision is elastic
4.The floor is smooth
5.A has a mass m,B has a mass M,you don't know which one is bigger but it doesn't matter(in that question)

This is the background of my question:
So I am thinking of the final velocity of B (V) under several circumstances:

When A collide with B,
there are 4 outcomes,
which can be understood by solving the following equation:
0.5mu^2 = 0.5mv^2 + 0.5MV^2 ...(conservation of KE)
mu^2 = mv^2 + MV^2
If you combine this with conservation of momentum
m⋅u = m⋅v + M⋅V ,​
then you have essentially 2 equations in two unknowns. Treat u as a known, else solve the equations for v/u and V/u .

So there is only one set of solutions - only that one case.

For a collision of two otherwise isolated objects, the Law of Conservation of Momentum always holds true !

If the collision is elastic, that's a very special requirement. Most if not all of your cases try to impose this condition while ignoring the condition which always holds, namely the Law of Conservation of Momentum .
Case 1:A rebounds at an unknown speed,B moves forwards at another speed
That is:
mu^2 = mv^2 + MV^2
0<|a|<|v|,
MV^2 < mu^2
The value of V would depend on the size of M,
If M>>m, V<<u ,
If M<<m,V>>u, (V and u are in same direction)
If m < M, then A rebounds at a predictable speed, B moves forwards at another speed. (Both speeds depending upon the ratio m/M)
Case 2:A moves forwards at a speed v.v < u , and B moves forwards at a speed V > u
That is:
mu^2 = mv^2 + MV^2
0<v <u <V
MV^2<mu^2 (conservation of KE)
Again,V depends on M,
If M>>m,V<<u (A will rebound so it's not this case.)
If M<<m,V>>u
If m > M, then A moves forwards at a speed v, also B moves forwards at a speed V.
In this case, both of the following are always true: v < u and V > u .

You made a statement regarding M >> m. However, that makes A rebound, so it's not this case.
Case 3:They stick together and move forwards at a speed V < u
mu^2 = (m+M)V^2 = mV^2 + MV^2
MV^2 < mu^2
If M>>m,V<<u
If M<<m,V>>u (rejected,V<u)
Therefore if M>>m,case 3 is possible
This (the above) is the most extreme case of an inelastic collision, so none of it applies here.
Case 4:A stops,B moves forwards(= case 1)
mu^2 = MV^2
If m<<M,u>>V
If m>>M,u<<V
This is the case for m = M and only for m = M .
In this case, v = 0, and V = u . That's it .
So let's forget those trashy details above,(I hope to provide some more information to you guys)
When I consider the momentum in this system,I found something weird,
take Case 4 as an example:
mu = MV ---> V = mu/M
On the other hand,V = √(mu^2/M) by equating Case 4.

What's wrong?
I hope that helps.

1. What is the difference between kinetic energy and momentum?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while momentum is the measure of an object's motion. Kinetic energy depends on an object's mass and speed, while momentum depends on an object's mass and velocity.

2. How are kinetic energy and momentum related?

Kinetic energy and momentum are related because both are measures of an object's motion. The amount of kinetic energy an object has is directly proportional to its momentum, meaning that an increase in momentum will result in an increase in kinetic energy.

3. What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE stands for kinetic energy, m for mass, and v for velocity. This formula shows that the amount of kinetic energy an object has increases with an increase in either mass or velocity.

4. How does kinetic energy affect an object's movement?

Kinetic energy affects an object's movement by determining how much work can be done by the object. The more kinetic energy an object has, the more work it can do. This means that an object with a higher kinetic energy will be able to move faster and overcome greater resistance.

5. Can kinetic energy and momentum be changed?

Yes, kinetic energy and momentum can be changed. Kinetic energy can be changed by altering an object's mass or velocity, while momentum can be changed by altering an object's mass or velocity, or by applying a force to the object. Both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved quantities, meaning that they can be transferred or transformed, but not created or destroyed.