1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Energy and relative momentum

1. Aug 28, 2011 #1
    I've just started getting interested in physics and I am only a few (basic) books deep but there is something that has been distracting me that I can't come to a logical conclusion about. I assume this means there is a flaw in my basic understanding and wish to fix it asap. Here goes.

I am assuming the following statements to be true (as is my understanding which, as I've said, is likely flawed).

*The kinetic energy of an object is greater the faster it is moving.

*As motion is relative, Person A on the ground can observe Person B whizzing through space close to the speed of light and claim that they are stationary and it is Person B who is moving. Likewise, Person B can claim that they are stationary and it is indeed Person A who is moving close to the speed of light (along with the earth which Person A is standing on).

What I don't understand is where kinetic comes into this. If Person A is stationary they have no kinetic energy and they perceive Person B to have a high amount of kinetic energy. But at the same time Person B perceives them to have a high kinetic energy similar to that which Person A thinks Person B has. They can't both have high kinetic energy AND no kinetic energy can they?

I hope that makes sense and I've not overcomplicated it too much. Sorry if this is a stupid question or has an obvious answer, it's just something that has been bugging me! Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2011 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kinetic energy is frame dependent. It is not an intrinsic property of the object. It is a number assigned to the object based on the reference frame, just like position and velocity.

Consequently the transfer of KE is also frame frame dependent:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXr3O1cxYrc#t=90s

If you internalize those facts, you will never be confused asking yourself where the energy comes from to drive one of these:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook